3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 12:04 PM by Gregor

Coresight : Issue with user access

benjamin.truquet

Hi

I am testing Coresight. I installed it on a testing server where there are PI and AF.

The testing server is in the same domain that my personnal laptop : "domain"

I created a the local account "CoresightService" on the server and the coresight pools are launched with this account.

In the Windows Group "PI Coresight Users" i added my personnal account : "domain\myaccount"

When I access to Coresight with IE from my laptop (http://webserver/Coresight) a popup ask the login/password :

- when I use the local acount "CoresightService" it works

- when I use my personnal account it doesn't work, I've got the message : 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied .....

I don't understand why I doesn't because the access to AF with PI-SE works ?

Thank for your Help

Benjamin

• Re: Coresight : Issue with user access

Hello Benjamin,

I found different reasons for this error within OSIsoft Technical Support database.

1. Make sure your user account is member of the PI Coresight users group. If this doesn't work please try adding your user to the PI Coresight admin group too. The suggestion is not adding all users to the PI Coresight Admin group but seeing if this makes a difference would help understanding the issue.

2. In another case the issue was resolved by explicitly granting access to the PIPC\Coresight directory for the 'PI Coresight Users' and 'PI Coresight Admins' group.

3. With a 3rd case the issue was resolved by changing a group policy using gpedit.msc:

a) Expand Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
          b) In the right pane, Select Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level 
          c) Set the option to Send NTLMv2 response only.

You may prefer working with a Technical Support Engineer or try above first. However, please let us know how it goes, so we can engage OSIsoft Technical Support if necessary.

benjamin.truquet

Hello Gregor

Thank you for your answer

I tested your 3 points but I always have the problem.

I'm not sure that my installation are clean, because I used a local account for Coresight Pools.

I'm just testing Coresight on a demo server, If I always has the issue when I'll be on my production server I'll call the OSI support.

Benjamin

Hello Benjamin,

Benjamin Truquet

I'm not sure that my installation are clean, because I used a local account for Coresight Pools.

Well that could be the cause of your issue. The application pool identity is used when accessing resources. In case these resources are remote e.g. a remote PI AF Server, PI Coresight would attempt to authenticate PI AF Server with the local account that does not exist in active directory. A local account could work if everything is installed on a single box and the local application pool identity has access to other local resources. PI Coresight Admin page helps to configure required connections and to identify connection issues.

Benjamin Truquet

I'll be on my production server I'll call the OSI support.

Yes, definitely.