7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 3:36 AM by Paurav Joshi

Event Frames creation using EFGen

Paurav Joshi

1263.AF-structure.JPG

I have created AF structure as mentioned in above image

have created Event Frame for flow rate of Gas Meter1 of DW1234 using PI EFen Interface. in future if there are thousands of well having Gas meter then do I have to create thousands of Interface instances for each of the Gas Meter element of Well. because I can give trigger condition on one tag only for each interface instance. Is there a way of creating event frame for element template so that each element created using element template can have event frame. In order to make it generic. Or Can you suggest any other solution for this scenario.

Thanks

• Re: Event Frames creation using EFGen
          Roger Palmen

Using Abacus (PI Analysis Service) you can create EventFrames. An Analysis template is linked to an Element template so this would be generic.

Paurav Joshi

Hi Roger,

Thanks for reply.
              As per document, PI Analysis Service requires PI AF Server 2014 / 2014 R2. Please correct me if I am wrong. My scenario here is like I have PI AF Server 2012, So how should I use Event Frames in this version?

I have one doubt here that what is the significance of EF Generator here? I am asking this because I can do create Event Frame Template, assign them element by Abacus. 

Roger Palmen

Hi Paurav,

If you're really stuck on AF2012 then you can't use abacus / PI Analysis Service.

But EFgen should work for your case, as there is no limitation that you can only have one trigger tag per instance of EFgen. You can add multiple 'procedures' in EFgen, one for each Gas meter. Take a look at the example / tutorial on LibeLibrary: livelibrary.osisoft.com/.../GUID-E60B49CA-A7A2-4666-8749-4AF51467BC87

Paurav Joshi

Hey Roger,

Ya,actually my client has AF Server 2012 and I have to go with that only. So to use event frames in PI AF Server 2012, I have to use EFgen or custom application using AF SDK. There is no third option there, right?
                      Thank you for providing the link,

Paurav Joshi

Hi Roger,

As my two gas meter are for different wells the PI Point name of these two gas meter will be different. When we configured event frame through PIEFGen, if go to Event frames Structure tab then Active tag there I can specify only one active point to start an event frame and that will be only related to gas meter of one well not the multiple. this mean for each element I have to configure an event frame structure for one interface instance.

What I would like to know if my element is inherited from same element template, can't I create event frame for a template and reuse it for multiple element for that element template instead of creating new event frame for each of them.

Thanks,6406.Event-frame-config.JPG

tbrown

Hi Paurav.  PI EFGen only supports tag based configuration at this time.  It does not leverage AF Elements / AF Element Templates. So you would need to create a separate configuration [manually] for each Element you have.  If you have 1000 Elements x 1 event, that's 1000 individual configurations (+ tags) to configure and manage.  If you have 3 different types of events per element, now you're up to 3000 to manage.  There is copy/paste functionality within the Interface Manager though to make life a little easier ... copy/paste one that works and then edit the tag names/Element configuration manually.  

What you've stumbled across here and what Roger also highlighted is a key reason to use PI AF 2014/R2 and the PI Analysis Service.  If you have a couple of assets and one or two types of events that's one thing, but if you have many assets or many events types you want to configure per asset, it will quickly come unmanageable.  

The PI Analysis Service enables you to configure your trigger logic (for example: Temperature > 80) once and apply it to the Element Template so that all Elements using that template automatically inherit the event creation.  If you add a new asset, they automatically get all the calculations you're already running.  PI Analysis Service also enables you to create child "Root Cause Events" that start BEFORE your event was triggered so it makes root cause analysis easier for the end users.  In addition to Event Creation capabilities, there are also equally impressive calculation capabilities that leverage AF attributes and rollup calculations so you can easily roll up information from individual gas meters across an entire site.  Because of this, I wouldn't just look at this first project for creating events but instead the broader vision ... there are likely going to be other types of events (+ other types of calculations) that your client is going to want to configure.  PI AF 2014 R2 is going to be a key component enabling customers to easily expand these types of capabilities in their PI System in a manageable and scalable way.  I understand that your client is on PI AF 2012, but PI AF 2014 has a lot of value and I think it would be a mistake for a customer not to upgrade to this version for this type of use case.  It greatly expands the functionality, is easier to configure, and much easier for them to maintain over time.  

The main reason to use EFGen over PI Analysis Service would be:

* if your events require hierarchical events (i.e. sub child events) ... typical for batch customers

* if you're migrating an existing configuration from PI BaGen (PI Batch Generator)

I hope this helps ... and I hope your client seriously considers upgrading.  If you need support from OSIsoft, perhaps the Sales Account Manager can help arrange a discussion with the client to help show them the value of PI Server 2014 and PI AF 2014 / R2.  

Best of luck!

Todd Brown

PI Event Frames Product Manager

tbrown@osisoft.com