11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 1:05 AM by bclake

Converting PI ProcessBook display to PDF

LTEAFZE

Hi Team,

I want to convert my PI ProcessBook display to the PDF file.

Please suggest how can I achieve this.

thanks in advance...

• Re: Converting PI ProcessBook display to PDF
          asorokina

Hi Amit,

You can print ProcessBook display to .PDF file. You will need a pdf printer for that.

See this article for example: www.howtogeek.com/.../how-to-print-to-pdf-in-windows-4-tips-and-tricks

Regards,

Anna

LTEAFZE

Hi Anna,

Thank you for your reply.

I dont want to print the .pdi file. I want to convert .pdi file to .pdf file dynamically. Is there any way to perform this.

Hello Amit,

My suggestion would have been what Anna came up with. Are you talking about dynamically updating PDF displays?

Can you please explain what you are trying to accomplish?

LTEAFZE

Hi Gregor,

Actually we need to send a report as attachment mail to the client.For this we created windows service. But in each and every client system there is no PI Processbook software. So we want to convert the report to pdf file and want to send the mail.

How can I do this.

asorokina

Amit,

What does that Windows Service do exactly? 

Printing .PDI *to* .PDF will create a .PDF file as an output. You can also create a VBA code to perform this task, see PrintOut() method in PB programming reference. Note, that you'll have to set up default printer manually.

See also this thread: https://vcampus.osisoft.com/discussion_hall/add_in_microsoft_development/f/11/t/1094.aspx 

Regards,

Anna

LTEAFZE

Hi Anna,

Exactly our requirement is to send processbook display file as attachment to the mulitple persons every day. Like operator will generate report after this at every day mid night 12:00 Am this report should go to multiple persons as attachment. So in client systems there is no processbook software, for this we are thinking to convert this report to pdf and to create a windows service to send emails.

For this we are searching how to convert .pdi file to pdf.

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Amit,

I am not aware of any library that let you convert PDI files to PDF easily. It might be possible to do so but it would require a lot of time, energy and effort. My suggestion for you is to install the new PI Coresight 2014 developed in HTML5 in your enterprise which lets clients view both PI Coresight and PI ProcesssBook displays. According to the release notes of this product:

“Mobility. Any device with HTML5 support can show PI ProcessBook and PI Coresight displays. If your device supports Silverlight, PI Coresight displays are shown with their constituent symbols: gauges, values, tables and trends. Otherwise, the display will be shown as a table containing the data items of the display with a trend. PI ProcessBook displays are shown graphically.”

This means you can send by e-mail with a link to the PI PB display instead of a pdf file. Do you think this solution is suitable for you?

LTEAFZE

Actually this task should be scheduled through windows task scheduler service, every day morning 12 am the processbook display report should go to plant operators as mail attachment. In plant operators system there is no processbook software. For this we want to convert .pdi file to .pdf, so we can send this pdf file for them. Is there any option to perform this.

dhollebeek

No there isn't.  PDI files are a custom (and proprietary) format so there's no conversion software out there.  You could submit an enhancement request to save as PDF, but as Marcos said, I think your best bet is to view the PDI files in Coresight (you should be able to provide a link in the email).

Dave, ProcessBook Developer

mhalhead

Hi Amit,

I've actually created a simple ProcessBook VBA solution. Which I've attached (thought I would share). There are a number of improvements that could be made to this code like being able to print landscape, using VBA classes, ...; but it has proven reliable. I happily accept contributions.

The solution consists of three files; a PDI file (has the VBA macro), a PIW file (the report/displays to be output) and an ini file (contains configuration). You will notice that the ini file has an number of emails. These are using by a Powershell module that executes the PDI. PDFCreator is used to generate the actual PDF; the PDF printer must be called PDFCreator as I use this name in the code (you could add an enhancement to read this from the ini file).

All three file must have the same base name, e.g. c:\myprocbooks\myprocbook.pdi, c:\myprocbooks\myprocbook.piw and c:\myprocbooks\myprocbook.ini.

Lastly in order for the output to execute you need to create an empty file with the a .lck extension (c:\myprocbooks\myprocbook.lck). The reason for this is to allow you to edit the VBA. I also use the file to pass information back to the PS scripts.

I use the Windows task scheduler for scheduling the ProcessBooks.

The reason I've used ini files for the configuration is because they are dead simple for users to edit. They aren't as rich as XML but there are simpler.

Lastly; I doubt that ProcessBook will get many new features as OSIsoft has kicked off a project to build a new client. I've already asked my CoE representative to start pushing for this functionality (plus a VBA replacement). I've also asked for PINS to be enhanced to include the ability to execute and send PDF reports of any type (SSRS, ProcessBook, ...).

bclake

Hi Amit,

I assume you've completed the project by now, but seeing as the goal of the project was to share PI information with users who don't have ProcessBook I'd highly recommend looking into CoreSight 2014.  We installed this a couple months ago and it has made it much easier for people to share ProcessBook files with other folks in the company that don't have the any PI software installed.  If people have access to e-mail they should be able to access at least a limited number of web pages.  

At least for consideration - for the next upgrades. 

Best,

Brandon

1 of 1 people found this helpful