10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 11:19 AM by Gregor

PerfMon on InterfaceNode

marco.zoccoli

Hi all,

is "best practice" monitoring only PI Server or is necessary make under control both, PI InterfaceNode and PI Server?

I have configured a PI PerfMon Interface on my PI Server, and seems that I can create (from the same interface) performance points for both, Server and InterfaceNode, but I do not which is the usually behavior.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best Regards,

Marco

• Re: PerfMon on InterfaceNode
          Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Marco

My opinion is that it is really up to you. There are important questions that you should ask yourself in order to find the answer:

•     How much important to you and your company is the data transmitted by this interface node? The more important is your data, the more interesting would be for you to monitor the interface node.

•     Is there any issues if you create more PI Points on your PI Data Archive? Or do you have any kind of limitation? If you have this limitation, do you have more important PI Points to create?

•     Do you have any network issues or latency? Creating this new interface instance will increase your network traffic.

All in all, those are some items I believe you should consider before making your decision.

marco.zoccoli

Hi Marcos,

thanks for your reply, now is clear which is way to follow!

Regards,

Marco

marco.zoccoli

Hi all, seems that there are some issues reading points created for Interface Node, because, on PI Server, they appear all in I/O Timeout. Pheraps, I have to enable a Trust?

Best Regards,

Marco

Hi Marco,

"I/O Timeout" status usually indicates that an interface is not able to read the particular data item. With Performance Equations this can also be a question of rights. Is the interface installed remotely to the machine it's supposed to collect Performance Counter data from?

marco.zoccoli

I do not know... How can I check this behavior?

Thanks for your help,

Marco

marco.zoccoli

Anyway, in case, I can install another PI PerfMon Interface on PI Interface Node if needed.

Marco

Hello Marco,

If the interface is configured using PI Interface Configuration Utility (PI ICU), the configuration will show in the Module Database (MDB) of the PI Data Archive (PI Server). The PI Points supposed to be serviced by the PI Interface for Performance Monitor have the definition of the Windows Performance Counter in the Exdesc attribute. The format looks like follows:

\\<WindowsMachineName>\<PerformanceObject>\<PerformanceCounter>

If <WindowsMachineName> differs from the name of the machine running the interface (info in MDB), the interface is installed remote.

To look at Windows Performance Counter data, Windows Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe perfmon.msc) can be used. Windows Performance Monitor can also be used to read data from a remote node which is good for testing purpose but there are some challenges.

a)  To check if the permissions allow reading a counter remote, it is necessary to launch Windows Performance Monitor with the same credentials used by the interface service. The interface uses "Local System" as default and I wouldn't know how to launch an application as "Local System". At this point it helps to use a specific service account that optimally is a domain account but can be a local account. With local accounts, the account must exist on all involved machines and the password must be identical.

b) On 64-bit Windows, there exist 32-bit and 64-bit counters. Not all counters are available with 32 and 64-bit. The good news is that there are also 2 copies of Windows Performance Monitor. The 64-bit perfmon.exe can be found at \Windows\System32 and the 32-bit at \Windows\SysWOW64.

Please let us know if you like to be supported by an OSIsoft Technical Support representative to troubleshoot this issue.