2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 5:26 PM by jlrichards1979

Strange behavior with a select group of PI tags...

jlrichards1979

I recently added a group of tags (roughly a 100) to my PI database a month.  Everything was working fine up until 5 days ago.  Every night around the same time this select group of tags start collecting  "Out of Serv" as its value.  In order to resolve this issue, I have to restart the PI-ICU on the server where the interface for these tags reside on.  I have over 3200 tags associated with this interface and only this group of tags seem to have issues.  One thing I noticed in the PIPC.log file is that I'm getting the message below around the time I start having issues.  With that being said, I would think that if I was indeed having interface issues then it should effect all tags associated with the interface in question.

02-Oct-14 21:33:04
      OPCIntDWX.exe>PI-API> pinetread> recv: piserver:5450 [10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Any ideas?  

• Re: Strange behavior with a select group of PI tags...
          Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hi Jeremy,

10054 is a winsock error which most likely indicates a network issue; PI is simply conveying the error that it got back from winsock.

Winsock error 10054 corresponds to WSAECONNRESET.

The description of WSAECONNRESET in the microsoft help file is:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WSAECONNRESET: Connection reset by peer.

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As indicated in the pipc.log file, the WSAECONNRESET error occurred during a recv operation. The help file on the recv function says the following about the WSAECONNRESET error.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WSAECONNRESET: The virtual circuit was reset by the remote side executing a hard or abortive close. The application should close the socket as it is no longer usable.

All in all, that message means that the OPC interface could not connect with your PI Server due to either network issues or insufficient trusts at the PI Server.

Hope it helps!