6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 4:40 PM by Roger Palmen

Issues with PI Point creation when using substitution variables

Roger Palmen

Hi all,

I'm getting error messages when trying to create PI Points from an AF attribute: "Failed to create or update the data reference for Attribute 'AF Values Written' in Element 'PI Analytics Monitoring': [-30000] Generic Warning: See Data for details". Any ideas here? Either i'm hitting some limitations or i just don't see it...

• For a PI Point that already exists for the resulting PI Point name, the "Create or Update Pi Points" works OK.
      • For a new PI Point, i get the error message above
      • Attribute configstring (all _Configuration_XXX attributes are string values):

\\%@_Configuration_PIServer%\%@_Configuration_TagPrefix%.%Attribute%;ptclassname=classic;pointtype=Float32;exdesc=\\%@_Configuration_AnalyticsServer%\PI Analysis Service\Evaluation Skipped Count;location1=1;location4=%@_Configuration_ScanClass%;pointsource=%@_Configuration_PointSource%

• Re: Issues with PI Point creation when using substitution variables

Hi Roger,

I can imagine that you've reached the 10k point count limit of the license file.

What's the point count of your PI Data Archive?

Can you please check the PI Message Log on the PI Data Archive node for anything related?

Roger Palmen

Hi Gregor,

I have an unlimited license on my PI Server, but with a point count of just 251 that won't break the bank either. PI Message Log is empty (severity debug). Trying to find the reason it did not work, i eventually ended up with the situation that it did work. Why? Dunno. Even no restart done of PSE. So finally, this one works (spot the differences...) :

\\%@_Configuration_PIServer%\%@_Configuration_TagPrefix%.%Attribute%;ptclassname=classic;pointtype=Float32;exdesc=\\%@_Configuration_AnalyticsServer%\PI Analysis Service\%Attribute%;location1=1;location4=%@_Configuration_ScanClass%;pointsource=%@_Configuration_PointSource%

PS: one bug i found that when the PI Server is a reference %@xxx%, then the PI Point Creation dialog generates an error that the default PI server is not set, and it does not work.

Hi Roger,

My reply was just a wild shot based on your description of what works and what not. I must admit that I can't follow. Can you please share a few more details?

Also would this thread maybe better fit into AF SDK development forum? Are you using some kind of substitution?

If you suspect an issue, can you please post some code that would allow us to reproduce the issue?

Rhys Kirk

My money is on the theory that one of the attributes you are using for the PI Point Attribute values via substitution is illegal for the Point Attribute type, e.g. you have a non-numerical character in one of the location attributes. So you'll see the difference not because of the config string, but because of the values you're substituting.

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Roger, could you please try using only the default substitution parameters just to see if it works?

Roger Palmen

I just have a bunch of string type attributes _Configuration_xxx, and all do work now without changes. I did manage to reproduce it once, but also managed to workaround, although i;m not sure what i'm working around now...

It appears to give this error if the first "Create or Update PI Points" after start of PSE uses these substitution variables. If any succeeded, all next ones will work too... I currently place my bet on the PI Server lookup. Some more experiments on my todo list to make this reproducable. My bet is on the PI Server lookup, as this one also causes issues in the dialog for the PI Point creation.

EDIT: i did play around some time, and observed many odd behaviour here, but too many variables involved in reproducing. I managed to get a different issue (OK message PT created, but point not created). But in all, no major issue because 1) you can workaround any glitches here and 2) if you work relatively 'clean' then the issues don't appear too often. Checkin, restart PSE, always reset to template and Create or Update PI Points to ensure PointID's don't stick around messing up the substitution.