4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 4:56 PM by Gregor

SQL Service Pak 2 SQL Server 2012 compatibility

marco.zoccoli

Hi all,

I have to upgrade version of SQL  for my PI system.

Current version:SQL Server 2012

Version that will be installed: SQL Service Pak 2 SQL Server 2012

I would ask you:

1) Do you know any incompatibility with this upgrade?

2) For a collective system, wich is the best practice to install the software (primary first, secondary first,...)?

3) Is necessary a machine restart after the installation? In case, which is the correct machines order for the restart?

Best Regards and thanks in advance for your help.

Marco

• Re: SQL Service Pak 2 SQL Server 2012 compatibility

Hello Marco,

Marco Zoccoli

1) Do you know any incompatibility with this upgrade?

What is the AF Server version installed?

Marco Zoccoli

2) For a collective system, wich is the best practice to install the software (primary first, secondary first,...)?

As far as I know we recommend using a Windows cluster for AF Server HA upon creating an AF Server collective as the best technical solution but there are other aspects. KB00634 - High Availability (HA) options for PI Asset Framework (PI AF) lists the Pros and Cons of the available options. With regards to the installation procedure please check the PI AF 2014 R2 Installation and Upgrade Guide and let us know if it leaves any open questions. 

Marco Zoccoli

3) Is necessary a machine restart after the installation? In case, which is the correct machines order for the restart?

Do you mean after the SQL Server upgrade or after forming a PI AF Server Collective? Well, when assuming redundancy, I don't expect a specific order to be required if a restart is needed.

marco.zoccoli

Hi Gregor,

the version of AF Server is:2.5.0.5039

Thanks

Marco

marco.zoccoli

Hi Gregor,

i don't understand the point 2:

• As far as I know we recommend using a Windows cluster for AF Server HA upon creating an AF Server collective as the best technical solution but there are other aspects. KB00634 - High Availability (HA) options for PI Asset Framework (PI AF) lists the Pros and Cons of the available options. With regards to the installation procedure please check the PI AF 2014 R2 Installation and Upgrade Guide and let us know if it leaves any open questions.

AF Server is already installed, we just need to update SQL Server (with SP2).

I wanted to know if the SP2 must be installed before the primary server and after on secondary server  OR secondary  server and after primary server.

i wait your feed

Thanks a lot

Marco

Hello Marco,

Regarding your first question, I was not able to locate a known issue that would affect you.

Sorry about misunderstanding you second question. To my understanding there shouldn't be a big difference what SQL Server instance you upgrade first. I found this video at youtube that explains the different HA options and also talks about the availability during OS / SQL Server upgrade for the different AF Server HA solutions. It may be my fault but I didn't find any documentation related to the SQL Server upgrade path. Based on what I've seen I expect there will be some downtime. I suggest working with OSIsoft Technical Support on your question and would hand it over immediately but there's one piece of information that I would like to clarify before.

Looking at KB00634: What HA configuration are you running?