4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 3:34 AM by Doddabasappa

Create Element at specific path

Doddabasappa

Hi,

I want to create Element using template by passing path.

For example:

Database

Parent

Child1

Child2  

Now I want to create Element 'Child3' by passing path.

How can I do that?

Thanks,

Doddabasappa

• Re: Create Element at specific path
          Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello,

I have not tested the code snippet below but it should work. Don't forget to check in!

AFDatabase myDb = new PISystems()["AFSERVERNAME"].Databases["DatabaseName"];
                      AFElement myElement = myDb.Elements["ParentName"];
                      AFElementTemplate myElementTemplate = myDb.ElementTemplates["myTemplateName"];
                      myElement.Elements.Add(newElementName, myElementTemplate);
                      myElement.CheckIn(AFCheckedOutMode.ObjectsCheckedOutThisThread);

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for!

Hello Doddabasappa,

Have you looked into the option using AF Builder plug-in to Microsoft Excel? The plug-in ships together with the AF Client installation.

If you prefer building your own application, I suggest watching the training video Basics of AF Programming Part 1 available at the Training Center together with more useful training resources. Please also have a look into the Tutorial - Create AF Element Templates from a CSV File available at the Library. Last but not least, please download and install PI AF Developer Tools_2014 R2 from the Download Center, category "PI Asset Framework". After installing this package you will find AF SDK Reference (AFSDK.chm) at %PIHOME%\Help\ with some code examples in VB.Nat and C#

Dan Fishman

In addition to what Gregor and Marcos provide you can always use the FindObject method and provide a path.

For example, I want to add a tank to Division 1 and my AF Database has top level element "My Plant" followed by a list of divisions.  I first obtain the Division 1 element and then I can add a new element to it.

AFElement myElement = AFObject.FindObject(@"\\AFServerName\AFDatabaseName\My plant\Division 1") as AFElement;

Also, if you need to find multiple elements the AFElement class has a FindElementsbyPath method.  

Regards,

Dan