VCampus-METCO

AF Suitability as Unified Data Model

Discussion created by VCampus-METCO on Dec 10, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 by VCampus-METCO

Hello,

I am working on an oil & gas project and the customer has a defined Unified Data Model document which is a corporate standard for how data from production and exploraration, surface and sub-surface is to be organised. Data consists of structured data (static information, live PI data of standard types), and unstructured (documents, video etc).

The UDM is defined as a series of explicit data tables, with field names, data types and entity relationships with other tables. It is clearly aimed at implementation using ORACLE or SQL Server and I have seen products such as TietoEnator EC and Business Objects which have these structures or similar defined.

The UDM will be the single place where data is accessed via applications such as SLB AVOCET, SAP, Asset Performance, Optimisation and Visualisation tools including ArcGIS and other non-PI products.

I would like to position AF as the technology to implement this UDM, but have some basic questions:

1. Can AF elements use relationship information directly? i.e. can an attribute be a well-id that can be used to reference other related elements with the same ID - some of which may be many to one (e.g. multiple well tests over time against one well). Or do I have to implement this as a TABLE DR, and use Views etc to stitch the lit together.
  2. How are the multiple records to one handled (e.g. well tests where these are multiple well data test data against a given well, but with different well test date? Is this by for example creating a new element, or using the check-in/out feature to save another 'record'.

I am struggling to see how AF is adding value to implementing this as a native SQL database application or whether it is just another layer of complexity. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Outcomes