Pablo Benvenuto

Learning Lab - Build a Display in PI ProcessBook Part 2

Discussion created by Pablo Benvenuto Champion on Aug 2, 2012
Welcome to part 2 of this Learning Lab, I hope you had a nice break.  In Part 1 I showed you how to create a display in PI ProcessBook and how to add static elements.  Now I will show you how to add dynamic elements that can display real time data from the processes in your facility.  We will start by opening the "PB Batch Reactor.pdi" file that we previously created.  If you are using the Virtual Learning Environment, you can find the file in Libraries\Documents.

Add dyanmic elements to a display

We are now ready to add a dyanmic value that will display level, a minimum and maximum level indicators, a bar graph and a trend that will display the last 8 hours of the level in the tank.  Once you open the display, switch to Build mode.

Add dyanmic values to a display

You can now Insert a level indicator.  Click on Draw > Value, and draw a rectangle on the display area by dragging the mouse over the desired location for the value.  The "Define Value" dialog window will be displayed.  Select the PI Server where your data is located and click on Tag Search.  In my case I will use the BA:Level.1 tag.  Choose to display the time stamp on the bottom of the value and click OK.

To add text to the value, click on Draw > Text, and daw a rectangle below the value just added.  Type "Level %" and press "Enter".  With the text highlighted, click on the Line Color icon and change the color of the text to black.  Repeat the process for the dyanmic value.

Add multi-state symbols to a display

Click on Draw > Ellipse, and draw a small circle above the dynamic value by dragging your mouse.  Hold the Shift key and drag until it is a circle of a size similar to the image on the picture.  Copy this first circle and paste it below the value.  Now select the upper circle and click on Edit > Multi-State Symbol, and configure the symbol with the level tag, 2 states, with the limit of state 1 less or equal than 90, the color of state 1 green and state 2 red.

pic5.png

Select the lower circle, click on the Mutli-State Symbol and configure the symbol with the level tag, 2 states, with the limit of state 1 less or equal than 10, the color of state 1 red and state 2 green.

pic6.png

Add a bar graph to a display

To add a bar graph, click on Draw > Bar, and draw a small and tall rectangle over the body of the tank.  On the Define Bar dialog window, make sure the right PI Server is selected, and click on Tag Search.  Search for the same tag you used for the value element, I will use again BA:level.1.  Click OK, accept the default configuration and click OK again.

Add a trend to a display

We will now insert a trend.  Click on Draw > Trend and draw a small rectangle over the inlet valve.  In the "Define Trend" dialog window type the name "Batch Reactor Level".  Make sure the correct PI Server is selected and click on Tag Search.  Search for the same tag used in the other symbols and click OK.  In the "Define Trend" dialog window, make sure the Plot Time covers the last 8 hours and that the Style is "Full Time Stamp".  Click OK.

After the objects are aligned to your satisfaction, click on the Run mode.  Click Save.  You now have a display of the level of the Batch Reactor Tank in real time, with low and high level indicators and a trend of the last 8 hours with the capability to trend the historical level of the tank.  While in Run mode you can see the display values updating in real time without any user action.  Once you are finished, your display should look like the image below. If you would like to interact with the finished display, you can find it in the Libraries\Documents folder of the Virtual Learning Environment.

pic9.png

Using a trend in a display

With the display in Run mode you can maximize a trend by double clicking in it.  You can use the time forward and backwards buttons at the bottom of the trend to scroll the time range forward and backward.  You can also zoom into portions of the trend by dragging the pointer diagonally to draw a rectangle.  This area will be magnified when your release the mouse button.  To return to the original scale you can click on Revert at the bottom of the trend.  You can click on View > Trend Cursor and drag the Trend Cursor along the trend to find values at specific points in time.  Click on View > Time Range to easily modify the time range to 1 day.  Alter the y-axis scale to a trend by double clicking on the y-axis.  Use the trend scale dialog box to change the vertical scale for the tag in the trend.  Double click to return to the display.

I hope you enjoyed this Learning Lab.  You can also watch the video version shown below in the OSIsoft Learning channel.  Happy Learning!

http://youtu.be/t58CDc-IvMo

Outcomes