12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 5:24 PM by rantoun

PI DataLink I Online Course February 2014 - Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the first PI DataLink I online course of 2014. We have created this thread where all users who have registered for the February run of this course can introduce themselves, and interact with each other in a secure way.

This is your space, so we'd encourage you to ask questions about PI DataLink, answer questions posted by others, and also let us know how you're finding the online course!

If you face any issues navigating the course on the OSIsoft Learning Web site, please leave your comment, so we can respond to you faster.

Thanks again for signing up for this course and we hope you enjoy it!

Thanks,

Aarti Talwar

• Re: PI DataLink I Online Course February 2014 - Introduce Yourself
          djmogr

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dave Mogridge and I am the site Chemist for a relatively new CCGT power station in the South-West region of the UK. Previously I have worked in the mineral processing and papermaking industries. I have had a reasonable level of exposure to PI over the years (mainly Datalink but now increasingly ProcessBook) but any knowledge that I have has been self taught and as I have now been asked to develop the usefulness of our local PI data (i.e., turn data into information), I thought that maybe I should get some formal training via OSISoft - so it was ProcesssBook last month and Datalink this

Looking forward to it.

The majority of the Pi data that I have access to is stored on a local PI system server, but I can also access some of that data (and data from others sites) via a (slowly evolving) AF server.

Regards,

Dave

rantoun
            Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the DataLink online course! I'm Rami Antoun and I will be your facilitator throughout these 3 weeks. I have been a Field Service Engineer with OSIsoft for over 3 years. Along with performing on-site installations and upgrades, I have been a trainer of PI DataLink and PI ProcessBook for much of my time here.

I look forward to meeting you all and working with you during this course! Please let us know if you have any questions through this forum.

Rami Antoun

@djmogr: Welcome to this course! We hope you had some great things to learn about PI ProcessBook in the last online course.

Good luck for the PI DataLink I online course and in case you have any questions, please feel free to post them on the community.

Thanks

Aarti

rantoun

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dave Mogridge and I am the site Chemist for a relatively new CCGT power station in the South-West region of the UK. Previously I have worked in the mineral processing and papermaking industries. I have had a reasonable level of exposure to PI over the years (mainly Datalink but now increasingly ProcessBook) but any knowledge that I have has been self taught and as I have now been asked to develop the usefulness of our local PI data (i.e., turn data into information), I thought that maybe I should get some formal training via OSISoft - so it was ProcesssBook last month and Datalink this

Looking forward to it.

The majority of the Pi data that I have access to is stored on a local PI system server, but I can also access some of that data (and data from others sites) via a (slowly evolving) AF server.

Regards,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Welcome, and it's great to hear about what you are trying to achieve through our online offerings!

I'm glad you have access to both your PI Server and AF Server. You will have opportunities to utilize both throughout the course, and even though your AF Server is still evolving, we will still be able to get value and see the benefits in using it with DataLink.

Thanks,

Rami

Katy2014

Hello, everyone

Wonder how many people have signed up for this online course. :)

My name is Quin Yu, and am a process chemist working in Amsterdam for a large oil & gas company. I have just recently gotten exposed to ProcessBook, PI Datalink, mainly via learning from colleagues and self taught. Want to further enhance my knowledge on PI Datalink to build and use excel spreadsheets to track/analyze plant process data.  

Look forward to the learning.

Thanks.

Quin

rantoun

@Katy2014

Welcome! It's great to have you and I look forward to helping you use PI DataLink to analyze your plant data.

Rami

rantoun

Good morning everyone! Here's a question for the class - what is the difference between a "Compressed Data" function and a "Sampled Data" function?

djmogr

Hi Rami,

The way I understand it is that the compressed data function returns all of the values for a given PI tag that have passed the compression (and exception) rules for your PI archive within a specified time period.  The time interval between individual compressed data values is unlikely to be regularly spaced as only those values that have satisfied the compression rules will be shown.

The sampled function returns values for the chosen PI tag in specific, and therefore regular, time intervals (user defined), once again within a specified time period.  Some of these sampled values will be interpolated values from the compressed values.

Kind regards,

Dave 

rantoun
                          @djmogr

That's exactly right Dave. 

Compressed data retrieves the data that is stored in the archives and thus have passed the compression and exception tests. Therefore, the times that you see associated with each event are from when the data was collected. 

Sampled data allows you to retrieve data for a data item in specified time intervals over a time period. So, when returned, you will (in all likelihood) see interpolated values at the time intervals you requested. 

Rami
                            rantoun

Question for the class:

What are the different retrieval modes available in an Archive Value query?
                            What is the difference between using the "auto" mode and the "interpolated mode?

rantoun

Good morning everyone and I hope you had a great weekend. As we get into Week 2 of this course, does anyone have any questions or feedback thus far? As you begin to think about your final projects, feel free to discuss ideas with me by posting on this thread or by emailing me at rantoun@osisoft.com.

I'd also like to re-post my question from last week:

What are the different retrieval modes available in an Archive Value query?
                              What is the difference between using the "auto" mode and the "interpolated mode?

rantoun

Now that we're about halfway through the course, has anyone had a chance to try the exercises? Did you find them valuable? What are the DataLink functions that will be most useful for you in your analysis?