6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 2:18 AM by Eugene Lee

Archive Analyzer

cjrancur

I am still using the older PI ArchiveAnalyzer from DevNet (this was from before vCampus and PI Square), in order to identify Pi tags that report too frequently or too infrequently to the archives from the real-time queue.  This was a really nice Excel app that ranks PI tags by rate of archiving, so that tags with compression set too high or too low could be identified and fixed.  I still use it to find tags that need to be modified so that most of my tags provide enough historical data without saving so much noise that the historian archives fill up with junk data. My general rule of thumb is that reporting more than once/minute on average over a week is too often, and reporting less than once per 8 hours (except for setpoints and things expected to be constant, is probably too infrequent.

Do others still use this application, like me? Or have there been newer versions of this older app written in ACE or using AF?

Carrie

• Re: Archive Analyzer
          cdawson

We also used to use the same DevNet tool, but lost the utility sometime before I started.

For what it is worth, you can build the utility easily enough yourself:

1.  Pull all of your tags into excel using the tag configurator add-in.

2.  Delete all but the tag names.

3.  In the next column place, =PIAdvCalcVal('tagname','start time stamp','end time stamp',"count","event-weighted",0,1,0,'server name')

This will give the total events in time frame for a given point. I usually do it for 7 24 hour windows (each in a different column) and average the counts to a get more representative number of daily events.

4. Drag down the equation for all of the PI tags.

Now you have all of the data that the DevNet tool gives you (to the best of my guess looking at old reports) and you can manipulate it analyze it to fit your needs.

I too would like to know, however, if there is a more automated and less time consuming way to get all of this information than doing thousands of PIAdvCalcVal calls.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              cjrancur

Chris, I may still have the source code, documentation. and the compiled DevNet version. Would you like me to try to get it to you?

To the OSIsoft moderator, would it be acceptable to post this old DevNet app here, if I find it? Someone may be able to use it as a guideline for developing a more modern app using OLEDB, ACE, SDK, or AF, with similar ideas as the older DevNet app used.

This older DevNet app still works for me with Excel 2000, and it is more useful than before because Excel 2000 has many more rows available than previous Excel versions.  I have not installed the DevNet fresh, but my upgraded Excel continued to work fine with this app.  The only problem is an annoying dialog box when I open Excel, which asks if I want to re-open an app that is already open, and the already opened app is always the ArchiveAnalyzer. If I say yes, all is fine.  If I say no, Excel crashes. That started lately, maybe with a recent Windows patch. That's sort of annoying, but this particular app is worth it to me, so far.

Also, the tips in the KB00923 article referenced in "Archive Activity Grid - Performance" thread on this site seem to apply.  I don't like the idea of needing to take an archive offline to find activity, and I've found OLEDB (suggested for counting archive events) to be cumbersome for security.  In some previous cases, PI OLEDB only seemed to work well if it had piadmin privileges, and that made be nervous. I have not used PI OLEDB for quite a while because of that.  Maybe that is no longer an issue in current versions.

Carrie

bshang

Hi Carrie,

That KB article is a great find! The DevNet ArchiveAnalyzer add-in should be located here.

daneoverfield

Carrie,

Take a look at Exele PI Tuning Tools which includes Archive Analysis and Compression Analysis.

Dane