AnsweredAssumed Answered

PI OPC interface - how many can connect to an OPC server

Question asked by caffreys_col on Jan 15, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 by cramsey
Branched to a new discussion

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to make my PI OPC interfaces more flexible as they have up to 4500 tags, and every time I have to add a new tag that isn't already on my DCS system, I have to stop/restart the OPC interface to pick up the new tag (I think the restart forces the OPC server to create a new tag list which can then be read by the OPC interface).

My suggestion to make things easier is to create more OPC interfaces (with different point source tags), but with a smaller tag count determined by either scan class or plant area, and by Point type (string, digital, float, etc). This should make restarts of the interface quicker (it can take up to 10 minutes for all tag data to come back), and will only affect a relatively small subset of tags from an OPC server instead of all of them for a particular OPC server.

Is what I'm suggesting feasible? Is it practical? Is it "best practice"? The OPC interfaces run on the same physical hardware as the OPC server so there are no issues with DCOM or adding more physical PC's to the network.

Any insights/help much appreciated!

Col

Outcomes