7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 9:11 AM by Roger Palmen

How do I find the PI Archive Server from PISystem?

DavidMFairchild

I don't see anything in the AFSDK help that shows you how to get the PI Data Archive server or collective from a PISystem object.

• Re: How do I find the PI Archive Server from PISystem?
          bshang

Hi David,

To connect to the PI Data Archive in AF SDK, please use PIServers object (i.e. PIServers srvs = new PIServers()). An example is below in the new AF SDK online help.

Connecting to PI Server

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            mhalhead

Hi David,

I'm assuming that you are looking for a method to determine which PI Server is associated to the AF Server?

Unfortunately I don't believe that there is any builtin mechanism to do this. What I've done to over come this is have an element at the root of the AF model which uses the AF Servers name to lookup the PI Server in a table. The main reason is for tag creation. The default %Server% substitution uses the users' default PI Server which can lead to some unexpected results if this user works across multiple AF Servers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              dng

Hi David,

Were you able to resolve your issue from Barry or Michael's answers? If not, would you mind giving us some additional information so we can provide further assistance? Thanks.

DavidMFairchild

Hi Daphne,

I have been using PI-SKD for years and PI-API for years before that.  The switch from PI-API to PI-SDK was not too bad, but I find it very difficult to navigate my way around AFSDK.

What I, and maybe hundreds more like me, need is a document to show me how to do common PI-SDK tasks with AFSDK.  I thought I saw such a document on this site earlier today, but I didn't click on it as I was searching for something else at the moment.  Now I cannot find it.  It was a lot easier to find things on the vCampus website than it is on pisquare website.

Regarding the original question I can not connect to the PI server...

I also note that I cannot copy and paste into this forum... yet another move to make it harder to use.