4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 12:13 PM by pthivierge

List of StatusCode and Messages for all possible PIExceptions/PIConnectionException

sislvips

I Need List of StatusCode and Messages for all possible PIExceptions/PIConnectionException.

I want to map PI error codes it with error codes in my System.

Can anyone please provide this list.

Thanks

• Re: List of StatusCode and Messages for all possible PIExceptions/PIConnectionException
          rkathiresan

If you're looking for just 1 knowledge base article with a list of all possible exception/error codes specifically for connections, I don't believe there is one. But if you have something very specific going on with your PI system, we might be able to help you out. With that said, there are couple of things that you could take note of:

1. KB01154 - Troubleshooting connectivity to the PI System - https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/KB01154

2. \PIPC\adm>pigetmsg -m <ID> will reveal the messages.

Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\adm>pigetmsg -m 7039

Connection accepted:     Process name:  %1 ID: %2

Parameters
            ProcName : String
            CnxnID   : Int32

Severity   : Information

The actual message from logs:

I 23-Feb-12 16:40:11 pinetmgr (7039)
          >> Connection accepted: Process name: piartool(1060):remote(1060) ID: 205
          • Re: List of StatusCode and Messages for all possible PIExceptions/PIConnectionException
            pthivierge

Hello Vipul,

Did Ramanathan’s proposed solution worked for you?

If so you can mark it as correct answer, otherwise please let us know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,

sislvips

Hello Patrice,

What I am looking for is a list of status codes present in PIExceptions, PIConnectionException and their subclasses.

But as per Ramanathan no such list is available.

So in that case not possible to map these StatusCode with StatusCodes in my system. I will have to interpret it using the exception type only.

But it would be really helpful if such a list could be provided.

Thanks

pthivierge

Edit 2015-06-16: as per my colleague Gregor Beck's remark, iterating with positive numbers give OS errors.

It you want PI-related errors, you have to iterate with negative numbers. Added a second command line to do so.

Hello Vipul,

The messages for the PI Data Archive and its clients are stored into a file called pimdf.dat.

You can read a message using the its code number by using the command pidiag -e.

Below is a command to list messages up to number 10000 ( I am not sure how up it goes, but that should give you the big part of possible error messages. ).

Note that it may take a while to complete, but once you have into a file you don't need to do that again.

Get Operating System Errors

for /l %i in (1,1,10000) do @("%piserver%\adm\pidiag" -e %i) | find /v /I "Unknown System Error"

Get PI System Errors

for /l %i in (1,-1,-10000) do @("%piserver%\adm\pidiag" -e %i) | find /v /I "Unknown Error"

To get it into a file you need to append to all command outputs to a file like " >> c:\temp\messages.txt".

I believe this is only a partial answer to what you are looking for as some error numbers may not be all reachable with this tool.

Let me know if this helps.

Patrice

2 of 2 people found this helpful