4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 2:26 AM by Eugene Lee

How to create a PI Data Source

csreeharsha

I'm trying to create a connection between Java and Pi server so that i could get the tag values.

While creating a JDBC connection the URL has a value "Data Source".

How & where should we create this Data Source.

Should it be created in the machine where pi server exists?  or

should it be created on the development machine from where we are trying to access?

Thanks

• Re: How to create a PI Data Source
          bshang

Hi Sree,

the Data Source parameter is part of the URL format in the PI JDBC connection string (specifically part of the OLEDB connection string). See below:

URL Fomat

The URL string is specified in the JDBC client code. The Data Source should have the name of a pre-existing PI or AF Server that the JDBC client would try to connect to. Are you getting a particular error? Can you share the code snippet or connection string?

csreeharsha

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your quick response.

I am having a trouble understanding the terms PI server, AF server. Which is to be used and when

I see name "WIN-R1D2AQ081D" when i access from PI System management tools. Is this my data source name

Could i write url as "jdbc:pisql://WIN-R1D2AQ081D/Data Source=WIN-R1D2AQ081D; Integrated Security=SSPI;"

Any and all help is much appreciated

Thanks

bshang

Yes that URL should be correct. If there are no other issues, then the connection should be successful.

The PI Server is what you connect to in PI System Management tools. It is the "time-series" database or historian that contains the data for PI Points or tags. The AF server contextualizes the information into a hierarchical structure.

The Learning channel on Youtube has good high-level overview of the PI System infrastructure so it may be worth looking.

OSIsoftLearning - Youtube

The Master PI section in PI Square may also help in introducing some of the terminology and basics.

Learn PI

Eugene Lee

Hi Sree,

The most confusing part about PI Terminology would be (in my opinion) the difference between "PI Server" and "PI Data Archive". Sometimes, these terms are used interchangeably by some people and sometimes, they mean different things. Like in Barry's post, he is referring to the PI Data Archive as the PI Server. However, there is another meaning for the PI Server which is used to refer to a suite of products. Some relevant information below:

The PI Data Archive is a component of the PI Server that performs real-time data collection, archiving, and distribution. For the past 30 years, the PI Data Archive has been referred to as the "PI Server" but because the PI Server itself has incorporated so many new capabilities, including data modeling and analytics, it is now much more than just a data archive!

At present, we normally use this definition:

The PI Server is the heart of the PI System. It collects, stores, and organizes data from all your data sources, providing a powerful and flexible information infrastructure for your organization. The PI Server also includes sophisticated tools for analytics, alerts, and auditing. You can connect the PI Server to almost any existing automation, lab, or information system. Operators, engineers, managers, and other plant personnel use a variety of client applications to connect to the PI Server to view data stored in the PI Server or in external data archive systems. The PI Server is a suite of products.