21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 4:07 PM by kholstein

Configuring a Simple PI System - June 2015 Run - Videos Exercises and Final Project discussion

bschrage

Hi Everyone,

I have created this new topic for discussing the video lectures and exercises as part of the Configuring a Simple PI System.

• Do you have a question or comment about one the videos you watched?
      • Would you like to share an idea you have for one of the exercises?
      • Are you stuck trying to figure something out?

This is the place for you to ask questions, share thoughts, and even answer other students' questions with your own suggestions!

Best,

Aaron

P.S. Please use this space!

• Re: Configuring a Simple PI System - June 2015 Run - Videos Exercises and Final Project discussion
          herbh

For Exercises, are we to post results or post only if having trouble? Are posts to be posted here or in the Exercises page?

• Re: Configuring a Simple PI System - June 2015 Run - Videos Exercises and Final Project discussion
            herbh

Trouble with "Creating PI points with PI System Explorer

After building the templates in the Library, and creating the elements, all the Float tags build but the Status tag fails

Sample Process - Create or update data reference results in "Failed to create or update the data reference for Attribute 'Status' in Element 'Pumps1' in Element 'Sample Process': [-30101] One or more Database operations failed.: See Data for details"

I look at PIINT1 via OPCClient and the tag exists and is named Status

I review the video and validate my settings in the library are per the video

My RDP session is 2222

can I get some help please

srobin

Is there a student manual that can be downloaded for this course?

herbh

For Final I plan to add an additional instance of PI Interface to query data from a second simulated OPC source. I will use "OPCSamplle.OpcDa20Server" as I see tags on it. Let me know if that OPC device is not one I should use

herbh

So I did not understand the OPC server simulators on PIINT. I choose instead to make a second instance of PIICU to the same OPC server "OpcDa20Server.1" and setup some "load balancing". After completing the 2nd instance of PIICU to this OPC simulator I changed the tags on PISRV from Location1: 1 to 2 and Location4: 4 to 2 (Instance 2 and scan rate of 1 sec). I see in PIINT, PIICU - PI message logs, the tags get added. On PISRV, I get changing current values on changed tags that appear similar to the OPC quick client values on PIINT. I stop the PIICU Opcint2 and values quit changing. I start PIICU Opcint2 and values start changing again.

Seems to work. Will submit a quick doc on steps I took to make it happen (as soon as I figure out how / where). If someone can look at VLE sessions 2222 and let me know any concerns, would appreciate it

kholstein

Herb,

Your system looks good! You are collecting data from your PI Interface for OPC Da, and that data is being buffered! Your connections are also using the new PI Identity you created for your PI Interface\Buffering, and your pump Element Template in PI AF has your PI Point configuration stored and tag creation enables, easily allowing you to expand you PI System through AF if you add more pumps to your OPC data source!

My only recommendation is to make sure you create and register two empty (spare) archives. These will be good to have when your system runs out of disk space as it will buy you time (since the archive space is pre-allocated) to keep writing data before overwriting you historical archives.

Overall though, well done! Please do write something up summarizing what you've done and send it to Aaron! You can make a PowerPoint, word doc, or just an e-mail with screenshots (see Ways to submit the final project for the Configuring a Simple PI System Online Course for details).

I hope you enjoyed the course! Please feel free to also experiment with your virtual environment through the end of the course if you'd like to try out configuring asset analytics with the PI Analysis Service, or interface failover, etc. Here are just a few recommendations of topics you may be interested in next:

• you may want to consider using advise tags instead of only polled tags in your system (more information here).
                        • We have a great KB article on load balancing if you’re interested
                        • As well as a playlist on our YouTube Channel with more information on the PI Interface for OPC Da if you plan on using that type of interface in your organization.
                        • look closely into the tags themselves and some of their configuration attributes, such as zero, span, and exception and compression settings. I know since you’re using simulation data, it is unfamiliar to you and thus hard to customize appropriately. However, I highly recommend thinking whether or not the default values apply for your tag in the future.
                        • You can read more about exception or compression in our documentation if interested, however the appropriate settings will depend on your data itself and what it represents.
                        • I’d recommend looking at some PI Interfaces other than that for OPC. For instance, you can configure a PI Performance Monitor interface on the PISRV machine. There is also a plug in to PI System Management Tools that helps you create tags for your performance monitor interface as well as a template for key performance counters within the PI System.
                        • Alternatively, you could look at creating health points such as Device Status and Heartbeat for your different interfaces.

Please let me know if you would like any other recommendations on where to go next in terms of your learning.

kholstein

Herb,

As you noticed, the other OPC Sever simulators are less user-friendly; I'd recommend using the same OPC Server but setting up another PI Interface and then load balancing a subset of the points you created for your original PI Interface, as mentioned in the Final Project: Set Up a Simple PI System description. Feel free to also break PI Points into various scan classes - they all don't need to be in the same one! You can quickly change this in Microsoft Excel using PI Builder.

Gator

I have completed the exercises and attempting to complete the final project now.  I want to make sure I am on the right path before moving forward.  All of my pump tags have been created (1 through 5), buffering and are read/writing data.  Is the final project asking to simply change the scan offsets to a larger interval? The additional list items were completed throughout the training is that what you want us to attach in the report?

kholstein

Gator,

It's true that most of the final project (items in the additional list) is completed throughout the course itself. However the final component for the project, not covered in any video lecture, is to set up an additional instance of the PI Interface for OPC DA and split your existing PI Point's across the two different copies of the PI Interface for OPC Da.

The OPC simulator used int his course is a small system, but imagine if you had 10,000 tags in your OPC Server. You would not want data for all 10,000 PI Points collected by a single interface because that would lead to diminished performance. So in that case, you could set up several interfaces to run simultaneously and share the work (for example, you could have 5 interface each collecting data for 2,000 PI Points). See KB00333 - Optimize load on the OPC server: how to address the error, "The OPC server did not respond to the last Refresh… for recommendations on load balancing for larger systems. Essentially though, we want to set up our data collection to be spread over multiple PI Interfaces since that is a skill that will be very useful if you have to load balance the PI System at your organization.

This will involve creating a second copy of the PI Interface for OPC DA (create a new instance from the .bat file, configure it, create the Windows service, etc.). Since you cannot have two interfaces with the same point source and interface ID, you'll have to change one of them. Then, taking what you know about how the PI Point's configuration (attributes like point source, location1, and location4) are tied the the interface's parameters, you can modify your existing tags for Pump 4 and Pump 5 to use the new interface, thus establishing load balancing.

Additionally, you can create more scan classes on the interfaces, add offsets to your scan classes, and separate the PI Points into different scan classes to further control the load balancing on your PI Interfaces for OPC DA as well as the demand on the OPC Server. You can watch the message logs to watch for the PI Points to be picked up by the new interface, and you should confirm that you are still receiving data on your PI Data Archive and that the data is being buffered from the PI Interface to the PI Data Archive

Alternatively, if you'd like to start over and try all of the skills from the course again for the final project, you are certainly welcome to. You can delete your existing Virtual Learning Environment session (note that all of your work will be lost) and you can launch a new session if you'd like to start over. Or feel free to take the extra few days you have with the course and try exploring some of the topics I suggested to Herb above.

Please let me know if that helps clarify what we are looking for out of the Final Project: Set Up a Simple PI System .

Gator

Kelsey,  The video you referenced to Herb is very useful and I read the article for optimizing load.  When creating a new instance, why not simply create a new instance from the same batch file? In the video it mentioned the delay in start up because of the total quantity of tag points.  When I created the new instance from the bat file, a message was received for connecting to a same point source.  Will this create an issue?  It seems like it would be easier duplicate and change the scan frequencies and move forward from there.

kholstein

Gator,

I'm sorry if my earlier response was unclear - you definitely can create the new instance using the same batch file (especially if you're trying to set up interface failover, all parameter must match so it's preferred to create the second instance from the existing interface's batch file). However, if you're trying to accomplish load balancing, you need to at minimum change the interface ID on the second instance of the interface. Thus, the two batch files will be very similar, but not identical.

Most PI interfaces use a combination of the point source and the interface ID in order to identify what PI points belong to that copy of the interface. You can have duplicate point source between interfaces, that should be alright (even if PI ICU gives you a warning about it). We generally see reusing point sources because it makes performing a tag search much easier and keeps the points easily identifiable with which data source they come from. I.e. a user may know that a point comes from their OPC server, so the point source may be something like OPC. However, they might not know which interface the point is on if you are using separate point sources such as OPC1 and OPC2. You could still use the separate point sources and have users filter data using something like "OPC*" in the point source filter, where * is a wildcard character, but they would have to know to do that.

The main thing is that you cannot have duplicate point source AND interface ID (unless the interfaces are configured for failover) as there would then be multiple interface instances trying to write to the exact same tags. We can’t have multiple things writing to the same PI points. Thus, you will need to change the second interface slightly so that the different interface instances have different interface ID’s (consequently changing the second interface's batch file so it is no longer identical to the first interface's batch file). But, the point source can remain the same if desired.

You can add additional scan classes and change the frequency and offset within an interface to also help with load balancing. Also, staggering scan frequencies between different interfaces will also help reduce the load on the data source at any given time (if using polled points) since no two interfaces will be asking for data at the same time.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything further!