We are exciting to announce that a Community Technology Preview (CTP3) of the next generation PIBufSS (v4.3) is now available in the "Pre-Release" area of the vCampus Download Center (Note: CTPs 1 and 2 were internal releases only.) The next generation BufSS sports some significant enhancements and addresses a number of issues commonly affected prior versions. Some highlights of this CTP include:
- PIbufss now supports buffering to multiple servers and collectives. This is an important feature for clients that rely on PIBufSS to distribute data across a collective. Previously you had to choose one PI collective to buffer to, now you don't have to choose.
- PIbufss now sends data 2-3 times faster than previous versions (assuming the necessary additional bandwidth is available.) This not only means higher sustained data rates, but it also means that after a network outage any data queued up will be unloaded faster, resulting in users getting live updates that much sooner.
- PIbufss is now more robust when recovering from an uncontrolled shutdown. When running prior versions it was not uncommon after a power outage for pibufss to stop sending data to the server due to a queue file getting corrupt. This would require manual intervention to dismount and rename/repair the queue. PIbufss 4.3 is built on newer queue technology that can recover from these situations.
- Improvements for monitoring the health of PIBufSS
- A single health status that provides indication of the health of PIBufSS
- A new three tired health diagnostics capability with drilled down capabilities using performance counters
- New command line options and enhancements
- A new Buffering Manager which provides an upgrade wizard from BufServ to PIBufSS and an Add Server wizard to help users through the process of configuring buffering to a new server.
Please consult the release note with additional details and current limitations to this CTP.
As with all non-released software, we do not recommend installing this in a production environment.
We would appreciate your feedback, including bug reports. Please send them to our dedicated mailbox at: BetaBufSS@osisoft.com. We will be monitoring this mailbox and will reply back to you as quickly as possible.