AnsweredAssumed Answered

Excel Link Table error

Question asked by vharvey on Apr 26, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 by jasongogal

While testing the connection for a linked table in AF after following the instructions detailed in the PI AF 2010 User's Guide page 193, I get the following error:

Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.

Unrecognized database format 'C:\pathname\filename.xls'(I get the same error for another .xlsx file).

I'm currently using the Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Database Engine OLE DB Provider after installing the following Microsoft Redistributable:

Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable from Official Microsoft Download Center

For further context:

PI-AF-2010-User's-Guide.pdf

Missing OLE DB Provider

Edit:

Insofar I've found a microsoft thread discussing problems with the 2010 64-bit distributable linked below:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1d5c04c7-157f-4955-a14b-41d912d50a64/how-to-fix-error-the-microsoftaceole…

From the thread, many people running Windows Server 2008 (64-bit) had problems with the 2010 version (even though the server and version were 64-bit) and solved it by installing the older 2007 32-bit version linked below:

Download 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components from Official Microsoft Download Center

I tried installing the 2007 version and using the non 64-bit PI System Explorer I get the same error from the beginning for .xls files using the Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Database Engine OLE DB Provider

For .xlsx files I get a slightly different error:

Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.

Cannot open database". It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

Using the Microsoft 15.0 Access Database Engine OLE DB Provider I get the same error as the beginning for both .xls and .xlsx files

Outcomes