20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2017 3:48 PM by AndyBantly

Rockwell automation OEM PI Server

AndyBantly

Hi community, I have a serious PI-SDK compatibility issue when connecting to Rockwell automation OEM PI Server that uses a PI collective.  OSISoft has declined support.  My problem is that the customer can't connect to their server when using the OSISoft PI connection dialog.  Does anyone have any experience with Rockwell automation and PI collectives and could point me at some documentation to help me understand better what a PI collective is?

• Re: Rockwell automation OEM PI Server
          tramachandran

Hi Andy

If you are using Rockwell Factory Talk Historian, then you need to contact Rockwell support as Rockwell is the expert on their products and will be able to provide the best support and as this is a Rockwell product it is important for Rockwell that they understand what questions or issues their customers have. Support from Rockwell Automation 

Details on High Availability(collectives) for OSIsoft PI System products is available in our live library https://livelibrary.osisoft.com/LiveLibrary/content/en/server-v8/GUID-7C911817-7D09-4EE9-9A07-A1DEB471DF54 

AndyBantly

In a general sense, is there any PI-SDK examples on using collectives?  The PI-SDK reference talks about collectives but I can't find any examples on how to use them in code to make connections to those kinds of servers.

gregor

Hello Andy,

Please note that we have very rare information about what's under the hood of Rockwell Factory Talk. To my knowledge it's an embedded PI System but I don't know what features are included and which one are not. To be more specific, I don't know which Developer Technology is supported by Factory Talk and I do see a chance that Factory Talk may not allow custom PI SDK applications to connect. Please contact the support at Rockwell as already suggested by Thyagarajan Ramachandran

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                rsun

What is your error message when using the OSISoft PI connection dialog? What tool are you referring when make the connection? Are you able to connect even a PI Trust was created? As this might be security issue.

Steve Boyko

A FactoryTalk Historian is a PI server under the hood, but with some licensing restrictions. Depending on the version you have, it may not support straight PI-SDK connections from a third party program. I know earlier FT Historians did not allow that.

In general the places to look when having PI connection problems are the PI message log on the server (using PI-SMT, Operations, Message Logs) and the log on the client (AboutPI-SDK, Message Log, make sure severity in top right is set to Debug). There could be many reasons why the connection is failing so you need a little more information.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    Joe Devine

Andy,

This sounds more like an issue with recognizing the machines.  As Ricky stated it is probably a case where the Rockwell machine is on the other side of a firewall and the user is on another domain.  First the name cannot be resolved across the firewall even if you can ping it.  The host file entry is about the only way around this and if it is a collective you need to make sure the users has access to all members through the firewall or the connection error Error number -2147220478 will continue until the user has access at least via port 5450 to all members.  You can determine if your DNS can resolve the name with a command of nslookup <IP Address> and it should return the name.  If this command does not return the name then a host file entry will likely be required for all members of the collective.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        AndyBantly

I had a similar thought and asked my client to edit 'hosts' and add some entries that map IP to URL.  The suggestion about nslookup is excellent and I will ask them to do that as well.

AndyBantly

The HOSTS edit didn't fix the problem.  I dug deeper into the Trace log and I found the following sequences of error. They look to be in the same numerical range as Windows socket 2 error codes

ESPFTHIST01.lonzagroup.net

0xffffd612 (-10734)

[-10734] PINET: Broken Connection.

ESPFTHIST02.lonzagroup.net

0xffffd612 (-10734)

0xffffd5fa (-10758)

[-10758] Failed to create remote connection.

Another time I saw this sequence

ESPFTHIST01.lonzagroup.net

0xffffd612 (-10734)

0xffffd5fa (-10758)

[-10758] Failed to create remote connection.

0xffffd759 (-10407)

[-10407] No Access - Secure Object

0xffffd8e8 (-10008)

[-10008] Unsupported or Unimplemented Call

10.15.254.101 as pidemo

cstation

The FactoryTalk Historian does not allow anonymous connections via the PI-SDK.  This means that Rockwell has locked down the PI-SDK to only Rockwell Products, this was part of the OEM agreement with OSISoft.

Essentially, if you want to connect to the FT Historian, you have to either use the OLE-DB Provider or the OPC-HDA Connector.  Both of which are additional costs and licenses to the end user.  We are a encompass partner of Rockwell who have products that connect to the FT Historian, the only path available is via the OLE-DB Provider or OPC-HDA connector.  If you have any questions, let  me know.  We have walked this path before.  One of the following products from Rockwell is required to unlock the OLE-DB or OPC-HDA Connector.

Catalog Number

Description

9518-HSEADV

FT Historian SE - Advanced Server
                          D/C - E2

9518-HSEOPC

FT Historian SE – OPC DA/HDA Connectivity
                          D/C - E2

9518-HSEOLEDB

FT Historian SE – OLEDB Connectivity
                          D/C - E2

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                            htram

Hi,

Rockwell presently only allows known and approved applications to connect to FT Historian. If you need your application to connect directly (vs via a piece of approved middleware), you should contact Rockwell support or account management for an authorized application identifier. Then you just need to set it in your application. Rockwell may need to update the customer license as well.

Otherwise, as mentioned, you can also access FT Historian via approved middleware data access options, though it may require that the customer have Rockwell's Advanced Server Option.

Regards,

Hoa Tram

Partner Solutions Architect

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              AndyBantly

First of all I'd like to thank the community for helping me to identify the cause of the problem.  It took many WebEx sessions with the customer to convince them to collect server side logs.  Those were instrumental because they demonstrate that a connection to the server is in fact made but then "broken".  The client was very adamant in their belief that this was somehow a connectivity deficiency of our product.  The client has taken the issue up with Rockwell Automation and I am hopeful that this process will eventually result in a win for my employer and our client. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful