3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 10:46 PM by jagdish.konathala

PI Connector for OPC UA V1.0.0.46 - General Discussion & Facts

FionnMurray

Hello Community,

I have been playing around with the PI connector for OPC UA. The PI Connector is connecting to KEPServerEX 6.0 which support OPC UA.

When adding a data source (configuring a connection from PI to OPCServer) there is a field called 'Discovey or Server Endpoint URL' in which you enter the endpoint of your OPC Server but be careful to have any whitespaces at the end or else the PI connector will not be able to discover the endpoint. Maybe this is a small bug on the OSI side.

On the Kepware OPC server I can create an endpoint using the IP of the server in which the OPCServer is installed on in which it looks like opc.tcp://192.168.1.1:4932 as an example. For the endpoint I can configure 7 security policies (see pic UA_Server_Security)

UA_Server_Security.PNG

They translate to the following on the PI connector.

opc.tcp://192.168.1.1:4932 [None:None:Binary]

opc.tcp://192.168.1.1:4932 [Sign:Basic128Rsa15:Binary]

opc.tcp://192.168.1.1:4932 [SignAndEncrypt:Basic128Rsa15:Binary]

opc.tcp://192.168.1.1:4932 [Sign:Basic256:Binary]

opc.tcp://192.168.1.1:4932 [SignAndEncrypt:Basic256:Binary]

Can some one point me in the right direction in what PI can support and does there need to be a username and password supplied. PI connector is connecting to the OPCServer remotely and the pi certificate is registered with OPC Server and OPC certificate is registered with the pi connector.

For people having issues with 'Root NodeIds' and there syntax I recommend visiting (Embedded OPC UA Stack: OPC UA NodeId Concepts ) from unified automation as they have a good examples there. If others want to add there comments please feel free to do so.

I found that the data access filter file has to be 'uploaded\reloaded' to the PI connector before lets say the AF structure was created.

I can not find how the PointSource is allocated to the PiTags for the PI connector is this something hard-coded or can the PointSource be changed

PI tag naming convention is hard-coded I believe although I did find where the prefix is configured.

<PI Point Prefix (configured in ..\Connectors\opcua\Configuration\pipointprefix.config.json)>.<DataSourceName (Manually Configured)>.<NameSpaceIndex>.<Instrumenttag>

af element is called the same as node present in OPC Server

af template for the element is called <PointSource>.<Template Name Given in Data Access Filter File(configured for each interface instance)> Why is the point source appended as a prefix? or is this the pi point prefix configured in ..\Connectors\opcua\Configuration\pipointprefix.config.json

Failover (see picture)

OPC_UA_FAILOVER.PNG

I see that *2259 is a digital state that relates to ServerState. What does this monitor though the PI Connector state to the source system? As when I restart the OPC server shutdown -> running. *DataSourceState i presume if we are connected to the OPC server as it goes to disconnected to connected when i restart the OPC server. The tag *2258 is always counting even if the instance on ApiNode1 is active or in backup state while  *2257 seems to remain as if it signifies startup or something. This leads to the question how do we know which connector is in state active. Also how do know what the tags *2257,8 and 9 signify

Looking Forward to the Discussion.