AnsweredAssumed Answered

PI Vision and load balancing issues

Question asked by jagdish.konathala Champion on Jul 15, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 by czhang

We have Big-IP F5 fronting both the PI Vision member nodes. We tried various configurations in F5 and we see that the load is being distributed evenly between both nodes via F5. We see a lot of error messages no rhyme and reason. Some times, we don't see any errors for hours together and sometimes we see a flood of errors. We have a case with tech support and we were told OSIsoft does not support F5, so we are on our own.

We tried with source and destination persistence in F5. We get no errors when we have F5 sending all requests to just one member though that defeats the purpose of load balancing across 2 or more nodes as we grow. Any insight is appreciated.

These are the error messages we get when we download them. Messages seem generic and we don't see much in event viewer logs or from the PI side.

Timestamp: 7/15/2017, 3:38:24 PM

Severity: Error

Details: Requested Range Not Satisfiable

Timestamp: 7/15/2017, 3:38:29 PM

Details: Internal Server Error

Timestamp: 7/15/2017, 3:38:29 PM

Details: Requested Range Not Satisfiable

Timestamp: 7/15/2017, 3:38:32 PM

Update : I found a pattern that I was able to consistently replicate. I don't see the errors on machines that are always connected to the internet (desktops or kiosk displays for instance). Laptops on the other hand generate errors when put to sleep causing network to disconnect. Upon waking the laptop, the same displays start flooding the error messages till they are refreshed. No more errors till the internet is connected and issues repeat whenever network disconnected and reconnected (meeting runs). It can be an annoyance for the end user and IT tickets for the same! Is it related to source or destination persistence on the F5 configuration side?

Message was edited by: Jagdish Konathala : Added pattern observed during network disruption

Outcomes