4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 6:22 PM by JaredGoretzky

Basic Authentication - PI WebAPI - "Authorization has been denied for this request."

JaredGoretzky

Hi,

I've setup a WebAPI with Basic Authentication, but I'm getting the following error from a remote machine when I test the URL:  https://myserver/piwebapi in Internet Explorer.

"Message": "Authorization has been denied for this request."

Things I have done:

1. in the configuration database I have changed "Kerberos" to "Basic" in the string.  (Database has been checked in.)

2. Created a user with Read to POINT db.

3. registered the certificate on the remote test machine.  (it is still showing the cert is an issue.  Might be part of the issue but I think there is something else missing.)

4. checked Debug system logs i have noted:  [PIWebAPI] {8e971f88-0e86-4ead-9815-f9d01f0fc3cf}: Request executing as anonymous (no valid identity associated with the request).. is the error right before the one stating {"Message":"Authorization has been denied for this request."}

5.  On the remote machine I'm not getting prompted for any account.  (probably why it's saying anonymous in the log?) 

Either i have missed a configuration item or I'm testing this setup incorrectly.  Thoughts?

I need to setup Basic since the app connecting only supports Basic authentication, no support for Kerberos.

Any help is appreciated.  Any other details I can provide please let me know.

Thanks,

Jared