6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 8:24 AM by cvillanua

RaspberryPi root password

gsauer

I recently participated in the PIWEBAPI lab at the EMEA users conf. in London.  (Great Lab!)  As a participant I received a RaspberryPi with a temperature sensor to test with at home.  It was installed with Debian and a preset user "pi" with password "piwebapi123", however I didn't receive the "root" password and am unable to run any "su" commands.  The setup on the RaspberryPI for the lab was great and I don't want to a reinstall Debian.  Does anybody know the "root" password?

• Re: RaspberryPi root password
          Rick Davin

Hi George,

Don't know about the lab, and since it was hosted in London, you may not get a reply from Europe for many hours.  Meanwhile, perhaps you could try the password of "raspberry"?

Linux users - Raspberry Pi Documentation

If that works, then your OS is actually Raspian, which is derived from Debian.

Rick Davin

Gregor Beck  Do you know who ran this lab and if they can help George?

gsauer

Carlos Villanúa Fernández ran the lab and I think authored the course material.  I sent a mail directly to him and got a response to try “sudo”.  He said the “pi” user with “piwebapi1234” should work. Not sure he knew “root” user password as I tried an administrator terminal and “su” which didn't work.  I will try writing him again.

I have virtually no experience with any of the technologies involved here (raspberrypi, debian, piwebapi, restapi, pyton, sensor interface) that is why I found the lab so interesting.  I've setup a Pi dataserver and AF with PISquare license at home in order learn about sending/reading data from PI.  But like everything these days authentication is always a stumbling block; that is why I want first to get things working with elevated rights.

George Sauer

(from my iPad)

gregor

Hello George,

I am glad to read you liked the lab and I believe Carlos Villanua will be very happy about your positive feedback.

As far as I know, Raspbian was installed on the Raspberry's. With Raspbian, the password of the "root" user is disabled by default and you indeed don't need it. When you execute a command which requires elevated permission, you indicate this by using "sudo" in front of the command. When being prompted for credentials, you (once per command session) need to enter user "pi" and its password. Carlos followed good practice by changing it from the default but you may want to change it again.

It is possible to enable "root" but based on my experience it is not necessary. You can find a lot of guidance on how to do certain things on Raspbian by having "Raspbian" part of your internet search query.

cvillanua

Hello George Sauer!

Thanks Gregor Beck and Rick Davin for helping George!

Also thanks for the positive feedback regarding the course, I had a very good time preparing it and teaching it.

As mentioned by Gregor, there is further information regarding this topic in this article: Root user/sudo - Raspberry Pi Documentation

sudo

You won't normally log into the computer as root, but you can use the sudocommand to provide access as the superuser. If you log into your Raspberry Pi as the pi user, then you're logging in as a normal user. You can run commands as the root user by using the sudo command before the program you want to run.

For example, if you want to install additional software on Raspbian then you normally use the apt-get tool. To update the list of available software, you need to prefix the apt-get command command with sudo:

sudo apt-get update

You can also run a superuser shell by using sudo su. When running commands as a superuser there's nothing to protect against mistakes that could damage the system. It's recommended that you only run commands as the superuser when required ,and to exit a superuser shell when it's no longer needed.

I just saw the response to my e-mail, I will be answering to the configuration aspects during the day.

I am very happy to see that you are already finding time to use the Raspberry PI!

Thank you,

Carlos.