6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2018 4:40 AM by Steve Boyko

Error 6: Overflow(frmMain::ShellAndWait)

alanR

Hi ,

Im trying to create a PIOvation interface in PI ICU  , all seams to be ok until i go to create the Service> Create i get this error.

PIOvationError.png

I haven't created any vb or .net code for this interface.

• Re: Error 6: Overflow(frmMain::ShellAndWait)
          jyi

Hi Alan,

Often above error is the case when ovation software is not installed in prior loading PI Ovation interface.

Please install the required Ovation vendor software first and try again. If you have already, then please let us know again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              alanR

Hi Jinmo ,

Im not sure of which ovation software  will be need , would you be able to recommend a software that i could use to test?

Thanks,

jyi

According to our own product manual, PI interface requires a 'base Ovation software'. This is required and should be loaded in all Ovation workstations to connect to the Ovation network.

Applications like (Ovation Operator/Engineer/Historian workstations) should all have this base Ovation software.

Please find below piece of our manual (pg. 6; pdf page 12/122) for more detailed information:

Vendor Software Required

An Ovation workstation is loaded with 2 levels of Emerson Ovation software:

• Base Ovation software allows the workstation to connect to the Ovation network to receive and send Ovation data (DCS point values, etc.) This is loaded on all Ovation workstations.  Base Ovation workstation can be present on the Ovation network itself; if not, a NIC (Network Interface) can be used for connection to the Ovation networks.
                  • Application-level Ovation software determines the functionality of the workstation in the Ovation system (Ovation Operator Workstation, Ovation Engineer Workstation, Ovation Historian Workstation, etc.)

The PIOvation interface needs only the first level of base Ovation software.

The interface will coexist on an Ovation workstation with any of the Ovation applicationlevel software packages from Emerson.  Or, the interface can run on a dedicated Ovation workstation with only the base software and no application-level software from Emerson.

I hope above information helps.

alanR

Thanks , Can you give me an example of a Base Ovation Software?

jyi

If you can install PI Interface on top of any working Ovation workstations, it will work.

While I don't exactly know the name of the component because it is not our product, the base software is a common software component. My search result from year 2002 called it "Ovation Network Interface". I am not sure if the name is still the same.

I can only imagine softwares like 'Ovation Operator Workstation for Microsoft Windows Platforms' or 'Ovation Developer Studio' would come with this base software in order to facilitate its connection to Ovation network.

Steve Boyko

Try running PI-ICU "as administrator". It sounds like the account you are using does not have permission to create a Windows service, e.g. it is not an administrative or power user account.