9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2018 4:18 AM by jyi

How to use PI API on LINUX

QianChengyuan

I want to use PI API with Java, not PI WEB API. I'am now programming with piapi.dll and jna.jar on my computer. But i can't find the file to run on LINUX, which may be called 'libpiapi.so'. I wonder where i can download or find it? Thanks.

• Re: How to use PI API on LINUX
          jyi

Hi Chengyuan,

PI API is considered as a mature data access technology, which means that it may deprecate soon. It is highly recommended for you to consider developing using other latest developer technology.

Have you installed your PIAPI library using the installation script (pi.install? ) You also need to add argument -pgm to develop with PIAPI. Please refer to the latest PI API release notes:
          OSIsoft Download site link

What files do you have under PIHOME/lib directory?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              QianChengyuan

Hi Jinmo,

Thank you for helping me. But i still have some questions.

What kind of technology do you recommend to access data efficiently. As far as i know, it seems that the PI WEB API is taking place of PIAPI? But i don't know whether the PI system which i'm going to access support the PI WEB API.

I open the web site you offered to me and see the downloads:

But when i click on it, it turned out 'The file you selected is not available. A newer or updated version may be available.Go to the following link to search for your download: All Downloads.'. So does it mean this Kit is out of date?

I get the piapi.dll file after installing PI AF, not PIAPI Kit. You see that i didn't have downloaded the PIAPI Kit, so i don't know what files i can have under PIHOME/lib.

Thanks again for your answer.

jyi

In case of linux machines, we recommend you to use either PI Web API or PI JDBC Drivers. I would like to mention that PI API is NOT replaced by PI Web API and is still used by some PI Interfaces. But PI API is getting pretty old.

I recommend you to take a look at below UC presentation:

UC London: How to pick the right PI Developer Technology for your Project

PI Web API is free for you to try. Applying it to production environment may require you PI System Access license. Your local account manager would be the better person to talk to you more on this: 
                  Developer Technology is now freely available for download

On the other hand, PI API is probably not available to public anymore. Generally only those who have been using PIAPI application already are allowed to download.

Best,

Jin

QianChengyuan

Thanks for your quick response. I watched and read the material you offered to me yesterday.

However, the very PI system I'm going to connect to, is a pretty old one, which may not support the latest development tool. So I want to try PI API and it used to be applied to this PI with VB.

Now i wonder which install kit include the PI  API share object(.so), just like that i got the 64bit windows version, piapi.dll, from PI AF.

jyi

PI Web API supports PI servers(3.4.380+)

If your pi server version is lower, please try below link:

PI API - Downloads

The name of the installation kit is called "PI API for Linux (XX-bit) Install Kit"

If above link somehow gets you other ways, then you can alternatively go to:

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/

>

Downloads

>

"PI API" from search window.

If you cannot see any relevant materials, then it is better for you to contact your account manager about the issue.

QianChengyuan

Hi Jinmo,

On the website you offered to me, in the 'Releted Kits' column, I can only see 'Patch for the APS Connector', while 'PI API for Linux (XX-bit) Install Kit' is absent. I can find the download links in 'PI API 1.6.8.26 Release Notes', which is in the 'Documention' column, but the url there is unavailable.

Does it means that my account doesn't have the privilege to download the API Kit?

knightk

I was under the impression that new development using the PI-API is no longer permitted under the vCampus (PI Developer) license.

I would recommend going down the JDBC route when it comes to Java as opposed to Web API, as your initial requirement of using PI-API suggests this is a tag-centric development,

jyi

Hi Keilan,

Yes you are correct. PI API development kit is not included in PI Dev Club licenses any more because we don't recommend you start a new project with it.

Only those with existing PIAPI application users, are able to download it under the account manager's approval (to get hotfixes and etc).

jyi

Yes I have to say that your accound is not deemed to download PIAPI installation kit. It is under Install Kits section. If you do not see the section or the install kit itself, then you are not licensed to use the product.

Please consider upgrading your PI server if you are using lower version than 3.4.380. (This version of server is already quite old ~2008 era -10 years old)