AnsweredAssumed Answered

Self Signed Certificate for public IP address

Question asked by Guilherme Ferreira Champion on Jan 17, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 23, 2018 by John Messinger

Hi there!

I have a test PI environment on a cloud platform which I can access through a public IP address.

As it is a test environment, I have used the Osisoft self signed certificate for PI Web API and PI Vision.

When I access PI Vision from my local machine, I get the usual certificate error, but that is ok.

The problem is, form live library:

Though the installation program can create a self-signed certificate, XY plots and events tables require third-party certificates; they cannot use self-signed certificates.

Originally, I was not able to visualize the events table, indeed. However, I found out that adding an entry for the server name in the machine hosts file can solve this problem locally.

So, I was wondering if my certificate had an "Subject Alternative Name" for the public IP address then maybe I would not need the hosts file to have these symbols working for every user.

This would be particularly interesting for mobile devices.

Considering all that, I would like some feedback from the community on this scenario and maybe some help on creating another certificate on my own containing the SAN for the public IP as needed.

Regards

Outcomes