5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2018 10:38 PM by alanR

Create PI Tag using excel

alanR

Hi,

Is it possible to use excel to create pi tags  that  created depending on pre defined criteria, where the user enters in certain data and then a formula or macro creates the the pi tag  from what the user has selected or entered.

Thanks

• Re: Create PI Tag using excel
          afink

Hi Alan,

It is possible to create PI Tags from Excel using the PI Builder plugin, which is included in the AF Client install kit.  This is the most common tool used for bulk creating/editing PI Tags on a PI Data Archive server as well as includes the ability to create/edit AF Elements/Attributes/Objects as well.

I suspect this should include the functionality you are looking for.

- Adam

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              alanR

Hi Adam ,

Thank you for your advice. Is it possible to create predefined tag templates with predefined values?.  So say i have a DCS tag name we could have a field that suggests the type. E.g. If the tag contains "FIT" you could search and display that you think it should be a Flow Measurement (PV)  and have the predefines tag attributes for that tag type.

Thanks,
              Alan

pocholo.mendoza

Hi Alan,

Would happen to have a tag list of those tags and its values? Like an excel file?

Thanks

Cholo

afink

Alan,

I'm not sure I am following exactly what you are looking for but if I understand correctly if you had the source information you needed in Excel, you could then have a sheet containing the PI tag attribute definitions for each type and utilize Excel functions or possibly some VBA to lookup the source attributes and then determine the appropriate PI Tag attributes.

- Adam

alanR

Adam,

That is something similar to what i have im just trying to figure out how to use excel, where the user picks an item from a drop down and the corresponding attributes from another sheet that are displayed in a column will be displayed along aside the data entered by the user.

Thanks,