10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2018 3:01 AM by John Messinger

Back up and restore from old PI Data archive 2012  to PI Data archive 2017 r2

RoyRobinJr

Hi sirs/mam,

Having question to be clear, just bit confuse right now. I want to full back up only PI DA 2012 (version 3.4.390.16) from PROD Server and to restore it directly to PI DA 2017 r2 (latest version) to NEW Server. Is there gonna be unexpected behavior or issues?

Scenario something like this

This is my (PROD SERVER) hardware requirements:

PI Server: PI Server 2012 version: 3.4.390.16

PI AF: PI AF Server (x64) 2012 version: 2.5.0.5039

SQL Server: Microsoft SQL 2008 R2

This is my (NEW SERVER) for Testing Environment

PI Server: Latest version PI Server ( 2017 )

PI AF: PI AF Server (2017 latest)

SQL Server: SQL Server 2014

and how about OS Version is it possible too we do not have any issue regarding on it?

Thanks,

Roy

• Re: Back up and restore from old PI Data archive 2012  to PI Data archive 2017 r2
          John Messinger

The recommended procedure is to restore your PI backup set into the same version of the PI DA Server (3.4.390.16), and then upgrade it to the latest version. So you should install PI 2012 on your TEST server and upgrade it after restoring your backup. The files backed up by PI are platform independent, so moving from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016 shouldn't present any issues.

For PI AF, you can restore a SQL database from SQL Server 2008 R2 into SQL Server 2014, but again you should run the appropriate AF SQL scripts (or installation package) to upgrade the PIFD database schema from 2012 to 2017 R2 before attempting to have your AF 2017 R2 application server connect to SQL.

Regards,

John

• Re: Back up and restore from old PI Data archive 2012  to PI Data archive 2017 r2
              RoyRobinJr

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. Big Help.

So ok i understand the procedure when upgrading the PI DA.

>for the NEW Server is PI DA 2012 compatible for OS win server 2016? or i should install in NEW Server windows server 2012 r2 with PI DA 2012 and both upgrade them into OS win server 2016 and PI DA 2017 after restoring the back up file from the PROD Server?

> May i ask sir if you have any idea of what issues will be expecting when back up and restore from PI DA 2012 into PI DA 2017 directly?

>Regarding PI AF do you have reference sir?

Thanks,

Roy.

John Messinger

Hi Roy,

You shouldn't try to directly restore a backup taken from PI 2012 into a PI 2017 system - this is specifically not recommended. See the Live Library documentation here. There are a number of architectural changes between these versions, and also archive files are typically updated (versioning information) during an upgrade. As documented in the referenced link, the proper procedure when moving a PI Data archive to a new computer is to move to the same version as the source system, then upgrade PI the new server to the desired version. I don't know exactly what the results will be if you try and restore a PI DA 2012 backup set directly into PI DA 2017, but I doubt you will have a stable system.

Likewise with AF, the underlying SQL database has had a number of schema changes since the 2012 release, to support new features such as Asset Analytics, AF Notifications, analytics recalculation, updated event frame functionality, and several other enhancements as documented in the release notes for each version since the 2012 release. If you try and restore your PI AF 2012 version PIFD database into a new SQL server and then run PI AF 2017 against it, the AF Server service will fail to start and your Event Log will show errors regarding schema version incompatibility. When you replace the 'default' PIFD database that was created when you installed PI AF 2017 on your test server, you will need to re-run the SQL scripts to upgrade the database schema. Again, see the Live Library for reference. If needed, you can download the SQL scripts separately from the Download Centre, under the Supporting Files section.

Regards,

John

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      RoyRobinJr

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, just gonna ask. What if only PI server 2012 is unavailable on the download center of OSIsoft. is there any alternatively way instead using pi server 2012? do you have any idea?

Thanks,

Roy

John Messinger

If you can't find the required PI server version on the Download Centre, you can always contact Tech Support and they can usually make it available to you, often via their FTP server. There really are no recommended alternatives to restoring the backup into the same version from which it was created.

John

RoyRobinJr

Hi John,

Thank you for this. I have question thou bit still confuse  When I restore the back up of PI Server 2012 do we need first to apply the upgrading of the pi data archive to 2017 and afterwards  start configuring the links you send to me like Move your PI Data Archive to a new computer ?

Or when I restore the back up of PI Server 2012 we should apply and configure first all the links that you give me and then we do the upgrading of PI DA 2017 already?

Thanks,

Roy

John Messinger

Hi Roy,

The general steps you would follow on your new test server would be:

1. Install PI Data Archive 2012

2. Restore your PI 2012 backup

3. Upgrade the restored server to PI 2017

You will then need to handle things such as managing the PI Data Archive ID. You won't necessarily need to follow all of the steps outlined in the linked documentation for moving a PI Data Archive to a new server, as you are only replicating a server into your test environment, not moving a production system between computers.

John

RoyRobinJr

Hi John,

So after I upgrade the restored server to PI 2017,  i must do the configurations/settings sir? am i right?

Because my steps would be doing soon are:

1. installed PI Data Archive 2012 in my New Server with the same OS of windows server 2012 r2 or 2008

2. Restoring back up of PI 2012

3. Configuration of some linked documentation. (when configure is successful)

4. Upgrade the PI 2012 to PI 2017 as well as my OS  Windows 2012 r2 to 2016

sorry john, i am bit still confuse of the steps that I will be doing.

because right now i already restored back up of PI 2012. and i check my archive at SMT it doesnt appeared the sample archive. and then when i installed the PI 2012 theres no folder of "arc" .  Screenshots below sir.

instead i put the back up sample archive in dat folder

Then i check the PI SMT the icons are disable

and also i found this under dat folder. its the old vs new server.

Thanks,

Roy

John Messinger

Roy,

OK, so there are two things here to be addressed:

1. Archives. When you restored your backup into the new server, most likely the file paths of your newly installed system are not identical to the original server from which the backup was taken. The archives that are registered on the original system will have been registered in a particular path (for example, E:\PIArchives). When you restored the backup into your new system, unless you restore the archives to the exact same location on the new server, the archive manager won't be able to find them and you will see a blank list in SMT as per your screenshot. In this instance you will need to rebuild the archive registry, using the procedure outlined in the Live Library under Repair the archive manager data file. This will allow you to re-register the primary archive in it's new location on the new server. Once that is completed, you can register the remaining historical archives.

2. MachineMismatch. This is a licensing issue. Did you generate a new license file for your test server? The mismatch file you shared indicates that the original server's license file is being used on the new server, and that the machine signature of the new server does not match the license file signature. You will need to generate an appropriate license file for your test server. If you have any problems with doing this, you should contact tech support directly for assistance with license file issues.

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    gmichaud-verreault

Roy,

If you want to send me a private message with your Site Name, and PI Server #, I can get you the install kit for 2012. Otherwise, as John mentioned, just contact TechSupport.

John's steps are exactly what you will want to do. Make sure to review the documentation also.

Gabriel