3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2018 3:26 PM by albe02

Can I install PI Data Archive/AF on Windows 10  professional?

albe02

My customer does not have a large IT department. They want to use PI, but they want to use Windows 10 Professional because they are not familiar with Windows Server 2016. They understand that a Non-Server solution is less robust. But they are OK with that. They plan to use a high end workstation (not a server).

What are the risks here?

[UPDATE] Yes I know that "Windows 10 should be okay if the use case is a test or other non-production system." But this is the whole point. My non-production (test) system runs great! ISo if my user prefers Windows 10 AND my user is OK with less stable (workstation) hardware. Why not?  I appreciate everyone's comments - thank you!

• Re: Can I install PI Data Archive/AF on Windows 10  professional?
          afink

Hi Alex,

If you are looking to install the PI Data Archive and PI AF Servers in a production environment, as you are probably aware, it is recommended that you utilize Windows Server operating systems.  For PI AF, we do test installation and operation on Windows client operating systems such as Windows 10 and can confirm this is supported from the release notes.  However, PI Data Archive 2017R2 release notes do not explicitly list Windows 10 as a supported operating system which means it was not officially tested.  

That being said, the PI Data Archive installation on Windows 10 should be okay if the use case is a test or other non-production system.

PI Data Archive 2017R2 Release Notes

PI AF 2017R2 Update 1 Release Notes

- Adam

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            LalBabuShaik

Hi Alex

If you are planning to scale your PI server I would recommend windows server. PI Data Archive has a dependency on AF server and SQL server. Before installing i would request you to check below options.

1) Microsoft SQL server version you are installing for your AF. Not all SQL versions support windows 10

2) Hard disk (storage) extensibility and backup.

3) Security and Patch updates on windows 10 machine.

4) Interfaces/connectors,drivers compatibility on windows 10

As @Adam Fink suggested windows 10 is not recommended for production use.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              albe02

Excellent points. AF is supported on Windows 10 already (Data Archive is not), and be aware of the SQL version - as it may not be supported on Windows 10.

Lets focus now on PI Data Archive on Windows 10 professional. This will be a smaller system (less than 5,000 tags). I have a non-production (test) system that I have been using for several years (including my personal laptop) on Windows 7 Pro, and now Windows 10 Pro. I have never had a problem. Biggest advantage for the user is an OS that he is familiar with (and lower cost hardware). Are there any specific known issues with PI Data Archive and Windows 10? I am pretty sure we will go ahead and do this.