13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 11:16 AM by jasonhicks

String Builder data reference

jasonhicks

I have an issue with my hierarchy elements. I have multiple turbines and am using the string builder data reference to differentiate between the turbines. I have an attribute called "Unit Number". I am using the syntax '..\|Unit Number'; using String Builder for the data reference for my attributes. Everything worked fine from the beginning. Now, for no apparent reason, it says “Cannot retrieve PI Point…” for these attributes when logging in from my desktop. No matter whether I am using Process Book with element relative displays or Pi System Explorer. However, if I RDP into the pi server and open Pi System Explorer from there everything works fine. I am not sure what changed since it has worked from my desktop in the past. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

• Re: String Builder data reference
          tramachandran

Are any of your configuration items using %server% as a parameter? . The %Server% parameter can resolve to a different PI Data Archive depending on the default in PI AF Client.The client will always interpret that as the default PI Server which can be different from machine to machine

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            bbregenzer

Hi, Jason.

In addition to the great suggestions above, you can also try the following:

Check the version of the AF Client on your desktop and the version on the server.  If your desktop has a newer version, I'm wondering if it could be causing you to run into a known issue similar to this one: Request Rejected

Do you see any extra quotes in the string builder output or PI Point data reference configuration string after the substitutions are resolved?

Another thing to check : if the PI Point data reference attribute configuration string is showing the correct server and tag names, you can try clicking on Settings and then Ok to see if this causes the config string to resolve to the specified PI Point.

If you can provide some screen shots of your attributes and their configurations, that is also helpful.  Please keep us posted.

jasonhicks

Brent,

I have added a couple of screen shots.   I'm mainly baffled at the fact that nothing has changed in the configuration that I am aware of, it just stopped working. Thanks, JasonPiSYS.jpgVersions.jpg    

Rick Davin

Hi Jason,

I'm kind of surprised that your AF Server is the latest production release (2017 R2 or 2.9.5) but your AF Client is over 5 years old (2012 SP2 or 26.2). While nothing has changed on your end, there may have been recent patches on your AF Server or the PI Data Archive that have tightened some security or requirements, and that would affect your client access.

Question 1: Can you upgrade the AF Client on your desk computer?

Question 2: From your desk computer, can you use SMT to show versions of your PI Data Archive?

Question 3: From your desk computer, can you use SMT to see data on the PI Data Archive?

rborges

The "Index was out of range" error is pretty common when you have a blank new line after "..\|Unit Number;". Could you please check if that's the case?

jasonhicks

That's it Rafael! Thanks! I'm not sure how this suddenly caused a problem, but after deleting the blank line after "..\|Unit Number;" the issue cleared up. Thanks again to all who responded.

Jason

jasonhicks

What I am finding out now is that I can delete the extra blank line/lines and check in my changes and then all works fine within the Pi System Explorer until I close it out(element relative displays in processbook still do not work). When I open it back up the extra lines are there again and the problem returns. What can cause these extra lines? I am going to try and upgrade my AF client as soon as I can incase that's part of my issue.