12 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2018 12:50 PM by gchermont

Remotely connect PI AF Server

Dilpesh

I am trying to connect to PI AF Server remotely, although I can see the remote AF Server and all the databases in PI System Explorer, but I am not able to see any data for my pi points.
      "Pi data archive {remote_data_archive_name} was not found"

How can I access the PI data archive of remote machine?

Thanks!

• Re: Remotely connect PI AF Server
          vkaufmann

Hi Dilpesh,

Are you able to connect to the remote Data Archive machine with PI System Explorer? You can do so by browsing to File>Connections in PI System Explorer and connecting. If the server in question does not appear in the list you can also attempt to add it from the same dialogue.

--Vince

Rick Davin

Hi Dilpesh,

As Vince suggests, you may not have the PI Data Archive defined in your Known Servers Table, in which case you will need to add it.  If it still cannot be located, first make sure you can ping the host of the PI Data Archive.  Is your client machine on the same domain as your AF Server and PI Data Archive?

Dilpesh

Hello Rick,
                No my machines are not in same domain. Both are Azure windows virtual machines and are in individual workgroups.
                I tried adding server in PI System Management tool, but I am not able to add it, it is giving me this error, though I did not get any prompt to enter the credentials.

error.jpeg

Eugene Lee

Hi Dilpesh,

Since your machines are in separate workgroups, did you give a trust to the IP of your client machine in your PI Data Archive? You can try looking at the message logs in your PI Data Archive.You will probably be seeing unsuccessful login or access denied messages. Also make sure the machines are in the same VLAN at least.

Dilpesh

Hello Eugene,

Both machines are Virtual machines on Azure.

Lal_Babu_Shaik

Hi Dilpesh,

Request you to do telnet from client machine to destination server on default PI (5450)and AF server port(5457).  If this works then firewall is not a problem in your configuration else firewall may be blocking this request. Once this is confirmed, request you to check PI SDK connection and log messages. As per the screen shot attached you are connecting to PI Data Archive server with port 5457 which incorrect.

Dilpesh

Lal Babu Shaik I enabled 5450 and am able to do telnet. Still I am facing the same error.

rschmitz

Dilpesh,

Did you also change the port in the connection window for the PI SDK Utility so that you're connecting over port 5450 to the PI Data archive and not over port 5457 per Lal's suggestion?

Do you see a connection attempt in the logs on the PI Data Archive side of things? You can check these via PI System Management Tools.

--Rob

Dilpesh

Robert Schmitz yes I did change the port.
                                        Below are the logs

Severity, Program, Time, Message, Server, Collective, ID, Category, OriginatingHost, OriginatingOSUser, OriginatingPIUser, Priority, ProcessHost, ProcessOSUser, ProcessPIUser, ProcessID, Source1, Source2, Source3

Information, pinetmgr, 5/4/2018 6:13:20 AM,"Disconnected ID: 43 ; Process name: SMTHost.exe(2208):remote ; User:  ; OS User:  ; Hostname: ; IP: <IP> ; AppID:  ; AppName: ", pi-test, , 7079, , , , , 10, , pinetmgr, , 1796, Connection Information, ,

Debug, pinetmgr, 5/4/2018 6:13:20 AM,"ID: 43; Duration: 3.333334E-02 min.; kbytes sent: 0.; kbytes recv: 0.; app: ; user: ; osuser: ; trust: ; ip address: <IP> ; ip host: ", pi-test, , 7133, , , , , 10, , pinetmgr, , 1796, Connection Statistics, ,

Information, pinetmgr, 5/4/2018 6:13:20 AM,"Deleting connection:  SMTHost.exe(2208):remote, Routing ID closed by session., ID: 43  <IP> :5450", pi-test, , 7093, , , , , 10, , pinetmgr, , 1796, , ,

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hi Dilpesh,

The PI AF Server and the PI Data Archive are two independent systems with their own security settings. The fact that you can connect to the PI AF Server does not mean that you should connect to the PI Data Archive.  The PI Data Archive has its own Mappings, Identities and Trusts, which must be configured properly in order to work.

It is also important to note that is the PI AF Client which connects to the PI Data Archive when using PI System Explorer. People sometimes think that the PI AF Client connects to the PI AF Server which connects to the PI Data Archive. This is just not true.

Hope this helps!

gchermont

Hello Dilpesh,

As Marcos said, the two applications have their own security settings.

Since the machines are in different workgroups you need to use Trusts instead of mappings. Please go to PI System Management Tools on PI data Archive machine > Security > Mappings & Truts >  Trusts and check if you already have a Trust for the remote machine IP Address.

Also check if there is any entry in the Credentials Manager (on the remote machine) that might be causing the "incorrect credentials" error.

Regards,