3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2018 1:04 PM by vkaufmann

"Message:" "Authorization has been denied for this request." for system/status

Mike1973

Hi,

I've seen a thread on a similar problem, but nothing I tried from that thread worked.  I'm writing an application that uses the piwebapi, and want to test if the system is running by using a GET on the piwebapi/system/status.  I can get to all the points on the server through the piwebapi and everything else on the piwebapi/system menu, but not the status.  When I try, I get the subject response, "Message:" "Authorization has been denied for this request".  Is there a reason I'm able to access everything EXCEPT the system/status?

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: "Message:" "Authorization has been denied for this request." for system/status
          vkaufmann

Hi Michael

The authenticated user must be a member of the local PI Web API administrators group to read this endpoint.

-- Vince

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: "Message:" "Authorization has been denied for this request." for system/status
              Mike1973

Vince,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm still not clear on what I need to do.  I've added a user to the local PI Web API Admins group (that was created by default when the Pi Web API was installed) with a username and password.  If a remote developer wants access to the system/status endpoint (whether through a GET or just via a browser using https://<host server>/piwebapi/system/status), it doesn't ask for a username and password, it just gives me the same "Authorization has been denied".  I'm very new to OSI Pi, having been asked to set up a PI Server for a proof of concept, so these may seem like trivial questions.  I've also changed the "AuthenticationMethods" in the PI System Explorer to both "Basic" and "Anonymous".  Should I only use Basic, or can I keep it Anonymous and still be able to have remote developers access the system/status endpoint?  Thanks again for the help!

Mike

vkaufmann

Hi Mike,

Whats the need to access the status endpoint? If you are trying to know if the service is running that can easily be verified hitting the base endpoint -- it either responds or it doesn't. In regards to your question, anonymous authentication will have precedence over any other authentication protocol, and in this configuration, all calls will be made on behalf of the service account of the PI Web API service. In this scenario, the service account has to be listed in the admin group to view the system endpoint. Using basic authentication will require you to have your remote users listed in the admin group to be able to hit the system endpoint.

--Vince

1 of 1 people found this helpful