2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2018 11:31 PM by KenjiHashimoto

What does PIAFDIAG do?

tflee

I may be asking to much hear but I saw a reference in PI System Explorer about using PIDiag but I can't find the first scrap of documentation as to what it is for and how to use it.

I tend to focus on annoying things like .. details.

• Re: What does PIAFDIAG do?
          tramachandran

The PI AF Diagnostics (AFDiag) utility is a command-line utility that you can use to enable or disable PI AF server features and perform other administrative functions. The utility makes a direct connection with the associated SQL Server database and requires the SQL Server sysadmin or db_afadmin role.

AFDiag is located in the \PIPC\AF folder.

• Re: What does PIAFDIAG do?
            KenjiHashimoto

There are PIDiag.exe and AFDiag.exe. Basically PIDiag works for PI Data Archive and AFDiag works for AF System.

PIDiag is located in %PISERVER%\adm\pidiag.exe. if you run pidiag /? from command prompt, it shows all parameters.

Also here is a live library link.

https://livelibrary.osisoft.com/LiveLibrary/content/en/server-v10/GUID-11F4B316-BCE7-4D03-AE96-6332C7D3A83F

From my experience, useful commands are

pidiag -host -file 'Path' : generate MSF file

pidiag -tz : shows timezone

pidiag -crash : subsystem crash happens to check the creating crash dump.

Maybe you are asking AFDiag and here is a live library link.

PI Server

Previously I used

AFdiag /reindex : Using AF, SQL will have fragmentation. Reindex affect to the stored data and affects performance too.

AFdiag /resetadministrator : if you delete admin account, you can fix it by this

AFdiag /newID : It generate new ID for AF

AFdiag /deleteeventframes : Delete event frames

Anyway, these tools are kind of handy if you know how to use it.

2 of 2 people found this helpful