AnsweredAssumed Answered

AF Enumeration Set vs. Digital State Tags?

Question asked by Heather on Jul 13, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 by Rick Davin

Are there benefits of using an AF enumeration set as opposed to a digital state tag? I'm especially interested in the differences concerning PI Vision. (i.e. Does one display better/easier for multi-state items in PI Vision than the other? Are there extra features in PI Vision that have to do with either AF enumeration sets or digital state tags?)

Example:

We are gathering ping information on a server and comparing it to a high limit to see if network accessibility to the server might be slow. If it is, I'd like to change an attribute called "Ping Status" to a pre-determined error state. I'm not sure if it would be better to use a digital state tag or a enumeration set for the error states though.

The only potential issue I can see with enumeration sets is that I have to use strings in the analyses; if we change the text associated with a value in an enumeration set, we will have to update all our analyses. However, I don't foresee the error states changing frequently. Templates also make this a lot less painful than it would be otherwise.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Outcomes