5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 1:48 PM by jamesk

Disappearing Time Series Data in PI Points

jamesk

Hi there, very new to PI AF SDK and PI itself.

I've used the below example to create a database, build up some elements and create some PIPoints.

GitHub - osisoft/PI-AF-SDK-Basic-Samples: Self-contained and reproducible samples of basic operations using PI AF SDK.

However when i use the WriteValuesUsingAFExample (which writes 10 values to the temperature attribute with 10 different timestamps) i see all the values in Time Series Data dialog in PI System Explorer for a short period of time (maybe a tens of seconds?). After this period of time i hit refresh and all i can see is the latest value.  Whatever i put in the time range i just see the last value - whereas before i could see all the values i added.

This has become very frustrating and i'm obviously misunderstanding something.  I'm trying to build up a database so i can read historical data from a tag and so far i'm not getting very far.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers

James

• Re: Disappearing Time Series Data in PI Points
          VasanthakumarR

Hi James,

PI Archive Subsystem doesn't have a target for the data you are sending if there is no archive registered covering the event timestamps. This is a common issue where you would see the data flowing e.g. using at a trend in PI Vision but afterward disappearing. In this scenario, PI Vision receives its updates through a sign-up with PI Update Manager for snapshot updates. The data is received by PI Network Manager, processed by PI Snapshot Subsystem which shares the "news" with PI Update Manager to allow efficient client updates. However, PI Archive Subsystem needs to drop the events with no archive file online and this is why you would see the values disappearing e.g. when refreshing the display.

Can you check and confirm if the above described scenario is what you are experiencing and also please check Tag Configuration whether the Archiving is on?

Regards,

Vasanth.