1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 29, 2019 4:53 PM by moliveto

Associate Asset with Alarms and Events using data from Alarms and Events Server (OPC A&E)

lutzac

I'm trying to understand how to best associate alarm & event data with a particular asset. Here is what I am trying to do:

> Use AF to create the structure I need to associate particular data points brought in via OPC DA with a device

>I'm then bringing in A&E data from my DCS's (DeltaV) OPC A&E server to be historized by Pi.

1.) It's my understanding that Pi treats alarms/events like any other Pi data point and logs the different attributes (i.e. alarm severity, acknowledgement status, alarm description, etc) as separate data points. Is this correct? My question might be answered better by how A&E data gets stored in Pi.

2.) If I want the A&E to be associated with a particular piece of equipment (i.e. when I get an "undervoltage" alarm, on my DCS I have that alarm associated with Breaker-A1), are event frames the only (or best) way to do this? Can multiple alarms be associated with one event frame? I want to provide a solution where this data can be easily accessed on Pi Vision.

3.) If so, what is the best way to go about configuring this? I can export all of the configured alarms from my DCS, then can I get clever with excel/xml and use this export to auto-generate event frames for all of my assets? The goal would be to see what alarms are active for a given asset at any given time.

4.) Should I be cautious about how many event frames i configure for my Pi system? Are they resource intensive? If I have 100K alarms configured on my DCS, would it cause resource strain on my system to have 100K event frames?

low priority question 5.) I've seen other posts about users requesting a dedicated solution to historizing/archiving A&E data from their assets. have there been any released roadmaps for this capability? Is there anything that is being worked on for this? A dedicated Pi solution is the ideal one so my operators don't have to navigate an additional system.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• Re: Associate Asset with Alarms and Events using data from Alarms and Events Server (OPC A&E)
          moliveto

Hi Alexander,

There are some other posts that talk about the same subject , and the truth is that they conclude that it is not feasible to make the conversion

of OPC A&E tags ---> Event Frames. It is a pity but actually this will not be leveraged as the A&E specification is sort of "out of date". With the new OPC UA

specification the alarms and events are automatically converted into event frames using the standard PI Connector for OPC UA.

One thing you should foresee is to assign the custom fields of your DeltaV which relates to your Batch & equipment, to make it more distinguishable.

If you would need further analysis for your site, in my company (AG Solution Group) we created an off-the shelf solution for Alarm Management , what

it does is to acquire alarms and events data (from PI System) and we show the main standard reports and alarm KPI's defined in ISA 18.2 and EEMUA 191.