5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 9:05 AM by Eugene Lee

PI API will be Deprecated ?

inform2prabhat

Dear All,

I am little surprised to see that PI API is mentioned under Deprecated Developer Tools ( Developer Technologies ) similar to SDK and WEB services. I can understand that AF SDK is promoted as an replacement for SDK and WEB API can be used for WEB Services but what about PI API and its replacement ? PI API is still being used everywhere. Example, PI Interfaces still use the same to communicate with PI server. OSI have also released multiple PI API versions (3 versions from 2016 till now) which help us to connect interfaces via Windows Integrated security instead of Trust.

Now looking into al the development going on with the product and the dependency it have with other Major Products, I want to understand what is OSI Roadmap with PI API and what is the recommendation for Customers ?

Note: I am planning to upgrade all my PI OPC and PItoPI Interfaces to the latest PI API 2018 version. This will help to get rid of Trust security and use WIS instead. Whether anybody see any challenge in doing this ?

Jay Lakumb

Thanks in Advance,

Prabhat

• Re: PI API will be Deprecated ?
          Eugene Lee

I am surprised that you are surprised. PI API has been deprecated for a long time. Its replacement was PI SDK. And PI SDK is also deprecated. So you are talking about a Developer Technology that is 2 generations backwards.

When we say it is a deprecated developer tool, we mean "do not use it for any custom application development". Do not use it as a Developer Technology. Use AF SDK instead.

It might still be a data access technology used in our PI Interfaces, but that is because those interfaces were developed a long time ago. And we are not about to replace it with AF SDK. The newer PI Connectors mostly use AF SDK.

You can definitely upgrade PI API to improve security of PI Interfaces by using Windows Integrated Security instead of Trust. That is encouraged. Make sure that you PI Data Archive has the appropriate mappings created for the interfaces.