3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2018 2:38 PM by Rick Davin

Could I retrieve data directly from PI within the MS Word?

Dr.Zhou

Dear All,

As you know, a lot of reports were generated within MS Word. When it comes to plant operation and maintenance data, the most common practice is to, (1) open the ProcessBook, (2) select tags from ActiveView, (3) fill them out in the PB trend and get the data, or (4) to open the MS Excel with Datalink to retrieve them. I was wondering whether there be a way that I could retrieve data directly from PI via VBA or any other tools, as the DataLink does?

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

ZYY

• Re: Could I retrieve data directly from PI within the MS Word?
          rborges

Yes, you can and there are several different ways to accomplish that. I would recommend you to use the PI Web API Wrapper for VBA (please, check this post before getting the library). Once you have the wrapper, you can get the data using a simple VBA macro.

But I have a question for you: can't you build this report using a Vision display?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Dr.Zhou

Thanks for the response, Rafael. Very informative. A lot of new words to me, like the Web API Warpper, and the Vision. I'm with the PI 3.4 version, while I'm not sure whether I got them in my installaion. Let me check and get back to you.

Last time Eugene suggested me a very good tool named Asset Framework, unfortunately I did not find it in my PI.

Sincerely

ZYY

Rick Davin

The PI Web API client libraries previously hosted under the GitHub account 'mloeff' are no longer available on GitHub.  However, the PI Web API Client VBA is still available under the 'osisoft' account.  All of the open source code, whether under the osisoft account or shared by OSIsoft employees, adhere to the Apache 2.0 License.  This is a very permissive license allowing you to use and extend the code.  However, any of the open source code provided by OSIsoft or its employees is offered AS-IS, with no warranties or conditions of any kind, implied or otherwise.

As Rafael suggests, there are more modern tools and products to help you produce reports.  The Asset Framework or PI AF is a standard part of what is called the PI Server.  You may want to see if you have an application called "PI System Explorer" on your PC.

1 of 1 people found this helpful