8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2019 9:01 AM by gregor

PI OLEDB Provider driver connectivity - where should it be installed??

caffreys_col

I've been asked how does the PIOLEDB provider driver collect data from the PI system. More specifically what needs to be installed and where, to allow the link to work. If anyone can give me a quick heads up, that would be great. I;ve tried looking in the documentation but it doesn't show where the driver should be installed. As you may have guessed I'm not the familiar with OLEDB, so any help or recommendations are gladly received.

What's the difference between then ODBC and OLEDB drivers? Should I use one over the other? I'm told we are only going to access PI Data Archive information and not PI AF at the moment, but might want to access AF data later on.

Thanks

Colin

• Re: PI OLEDB Provider driver connectivity - where should it be installed??
          Eugene Lee

PI OLEDB Provider uses the PI SDK to obtain data from the PI Data Archive (it cannot connect to AF Server). The install kit should contain all the dependencies that you need. You can install the provider on the PI Data Archive machine itself or on another machine that has network connectivity to the PI Data Archive.

For an installation exercise, I recommend you to go through the PI World 2018 Lab "Introduction to PI System Developer Technologies". One of the sections in the PI OLEDB chapter is about installation.

OSIsoft Hands-on Lab: Introduction to PI System Developer Technologies - YouTube

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Downloads/File/3c54f3c3-7708-4c9d-a0fa-06aac8dc602e

If you don't have access to the lab, you might want to ask your account manager to help you obtain access.

ODBC and OLEDB are two different connectivity standards. Refer here for more info: oledb - what is the difference between OLE DB and ODBC data sources? - Stack Overflow

We make drivers to target both standards. Architecture wise, PI ODBC Driver depends on the PI SQL DAS. Here is an excerpt from the PI World Lab manual.

In the future, when you want to use AF, then you can consider PI OLEDB Enterprise or the newer PI SQL Client.

caffreys_col

Eugene,

Thanks for the info. What is the PI SQL client?? I haven't seen that yet. Does it replace OLEDB/ODBC as a connectivity tool or is it just another method of getting data out of PI.

I've read the OLEDB enterprise, ODBC, and OLEDB provider manuals and I'm getting a little confused about what is the best one to get data out of PI. Is there one which can access AF and PI data archive data, or are they limited to one or the other? I'm guessing there are pro's and con's to whichever tool we use. The diagram you put above seems to suggest the OLEDB driver is more straight forward (and therefore easier to maintain) in terms of accessing the PI server, but depending on what web page you read ODBC is making a comeback, OLEDB is on its way out, or both are viable future protocols.. aarrghh!!

As a bit of background we are looking at getting data into things like SAP lumira using OLEDB or ODBC (we're not using the dedicated SAP->PI link which I know is available, for various "business" reasons) but with all the access tools OSI provide its difficult to know which one to pick. We are only doing a proof of concept test at this stage, but I'd like to get things as close to the final solution as possible.

Eugene Lee

The PI SQL Client is the newest member of the PI SQL Framework family. It is preferred over PI OLEDB Enterprise which is in turn preferred over PI OLEDB Provider.

Here is an article detailing the pros and cons of various Data Access features.

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/KB01046

Regarding ODBC or OLEDB, it really depends on what standard your application supports. I.e. SAP Lumira. Some applications might support both and some might support one or the other.

We have to support many ways of access as different people have different preferences. Same like different people prefer different programming languages. So we want to cater to as many people as possible.

caffreys_col

Eugene,

I'm guessing that if I install the OLEDB driver on the PI server then data is accessible from any machine which can talk to the PI server, whereas if I put it on a specific PC then only applications on that PC (or have access to that PC) can access the PI data. I think it will be easier to put it on to the PI server itself as the queries could be run from any PC on site potentially.

I think the PI SQL Client is a bit advanced for what we need at them moment. We are in between having calculations done as performance equations, and some as PI AF calcs. I'd like to migrate all the PE calcs to AF calcs but its getting the time to do it. We could then move to PI SQL in the future (or the OLEDB enterprise driver).

Eugene Lee

I'm guessing that if I install the OLEDB driver on the PI server then data is accessible from any machine which can talk to the PI server, whereas if I put it on a specific PC then only applications on that PC (or have access to that PC) can access the PI data. I think it will be easier to put it on to the PI server itself as the queries could be run from any PC on site potentially.

That is a misconception!!!! PI OLEDB Driver has to be installed on every client machine!!!

1 of 1 people found this helpful