5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2019 7:59 PM by jasongogal

Dynamic scale limits on gauges

jasongogal

Running into some issues trying to get dynamic scale limits on gauges. While this appears to be configurable for a PI Point data reference, it does not seem to be configurable for an AF table lookup attribute, and the default is 100. My issue is that the value displayed changes by an order of magnitude, so I can't really set a static scale and have it look readable.

• Re: Dynamic scale limits on gauges
          jswartzentruber

Hi Jason Gogal,

Can you provide more details about your use case? In general, we try to avoid auto-scaling gauges because normally the purpose of a gauge is to show the position of the value relative to minimum, maximum, and target values. Having the gauge position stay constant while the scales change doesn't seem useful in general. I see that your case is a bit different with the value changing by an order of magnitude. Is this a case where you would want a few scale ranges and switch between them? Or is this a case for logarithmic gauge values?  Thanks for any clarification.

John

• Re: Dynamic scale limits on gauges
              jasongogal

Hi John, apologies for the brief initial post. The use case is on displaying variation of what we could call "batch size" production data vs planned data, in which each batch has several defined planned vs. actual values. When I write it out like that, I think that it looks like in reality more of a BI use case that I'm attempting to port out into PI Vision using its native functionalities. In looking at the various options to display and contextualize the data, I ran across the "limitation" that bar and other gauge symbols default to a certain size of scale limits. They are, as you indicate, likely more appropriate for use cases where the data point is consistently within a defined range, and not appropriate for cases where the data point value's order of magnitude is dynamic. They could likely be made to be more appropriate if the magnitude of the data point variance from target is simply normalized into a percentage before it is displayed. In fact, I ended up doing that as one option. In summary, trends currently handle variance of data point magnitude well, but the other symbols don't.