0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2019 2:08 PM by JGamboe

Waiting for protocol version

JGamboe

We moved our office from one building to another.  Once we got set up in the new building I built a new ProcessBook machine, its sole purpose is to display health tags from 13 of our 29 historian servers.  When I launched my new monitor I noted that several sites were not connecting.  Others were displaying data as expected.  I looked in the logs of the server and observed the following in order:

PInet accepted TCP/IP connection, cnxn ID 44 Hostname: , 172.24.0.199: 53204

Deleting connection: Accepting TCP/IP Connection, waiting for protocol version, Timeout expired for version selection, ID: 44  172.24.0.199:53204

Disconnected ID: 44 ; Process name: Accepting TCP/IP Connection, waiting for protocol version ; User:  ; OS User:  ; Hostname: ; IP: 172.24.0.199 ; AppID:  ; AppName:

[Server] SVR-CKB-PI [ID] 7133 [Time] 3/15/2019 9:17:39 AM [Program] pinetmgr [Priority] 10 [ProcessOSUser] SYSTEM [ProcessID] 1928 [Severity] Debug [Source1] Connection Statistics

ID: 44; Duration: 0.35 min.; kbytes sent: 0.; kbytes recv: 0.; app: ; user: ; osuser: ; trust: ; ip address: 172.24.0.199; ip host:

I then checked a few of the other servers that were not connecting and saw the same message.  I asked a few coworkers in a different part of the building if I could test existing servers and then add new connections, repeating the experiment, but on a different VLAN.  They experienced the same error that I observed when trying to create new connections.  5450 is open and our FW group said nothing has changed.  I have admin access to all historians and been around the block a few times.  I've been in IT for 23 years and controls for 9 of that.  Something has changed, but I can't figure out where.

[Server] SVR-CKB-PI [ID] 7133 [Time] 3/15/2019 9:17:39 AM [Program] pinetmgr [Priority] 10 [ProcessOSUser] SYSTEM [ProcessID] 1928 [Severity] Debug [Source1] Connection Statistics

ID: 44; Duration: 0.35 min.; kbytes sent: 0.; kbytes recv: 0.; app: ; user: ; osuser: ; trust: ; ip address: 172.24.0.199; ip host:

The PI SDK logs report the following

3/15/2019 9:17:28.093 AM, , Error, Failed to connect to server SVR-CKB-PI : 0x800404ac, PISDKUtility, , PISDK, , , , , , , , ,

We manage security through PI trusts not indivual accounts.  I've tried changing protocol orders in the SDK client with PI trust on top and Windows Security on the bottom as well as removing Windows Security completley.  The historian logs display the exact same message as do the PI SDK logs.

My theory is that the FW is filtering a TCP\IP packet somewhere which won't allow the connection, but I can't find anything on it and prove that it needs attention from the FW group.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.