15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2019 11:28 AM by GDKennedy

Trying to set up Event Frames to get multiple values

GDKennedy

I am trying to set up an event frame to track an upset at the incinerator. I have the event frame working for one attribute, but I need to capture several other things to determine what started the upset. I have added the other attributes I need to capture to the event frame template but it will not capture any values for these additional attributes.

As shown below:

The incinerate_vent attribute works fine but the other 3 will not pull in data.

I have the other 3 referenced in the event frame search.

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Thank you,

dan

• Re: Trying to set up Event Frames to get multiple values
          Roger Palmen

How exactly did you configure the attributes on the EventFrame?

You can reference the attributes on the referenced elements in various ways. Documentation here for e.g. referencing the primary referenced element: https://livelibrary.osisoft.com/LiveLibrary/content/en/server-v11/GUID-0B24D1BD-27D0-4930-AD1D-7A14A4290F12

Lal_Babu_Shaik

Hi Dan

Could you please check Settings (column) in AF system explorer for 4 attributes ?  Are you seeing any error in AF Analysis (Event Frame)?

GDKennedy

When I look at referenced elements this is what I see:

So the data is there.

When I look at he attributes this is what I see:

The analysis is running and I have no errors.

When I create the event frame search this is what I get:

I am really stumped because it looks like I should be getting values.

dan

Lal_Babu_Shaik

Hi Dan

Could you please reference the attribute you would like to measure ?

For Pressure attribute in template request you to map either of the attribute in elements.

e.g. Pressures|DPT612VGA.PV or Pressures|PIC501P.PV or Pressures|PIC538VGB.PV

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      GDKennedy

Thank you for the help, sorry it has taken so long to reply, traveling for work.

Even when I map directly to the instruments as instructed it still fails.  There must be something off in my mapping I am just not seeing yet.

dan

bbregenzer

Hi, Dan.

Let's take a step back.

1. Are you generating the EFs with an EF Gereration Analysis?  If so, then the analysis can only assign a single reference element so I'm wondering how you are getting multiple reference elements on your EF.

2. The substitution syntax .\Elements[.] means the collection of reference elements with the part [.] defining the filter on this collection.  By default, . = the primary reference element (i.e., the one with the little black & white circle with the check mark in it when you view the list of reference elements).  If you put a number in there, it will grab the element whose index corresponds to that number or you can use any of the available filters (e.g., @Template=<template name>).  If you are using the EF Gen. analysis, then it will assign the element where the analysis lives as the reference element and since this is the only reference element, it will be the primary.

I think to get this worked out, it would helpful for us know the following:

1. How are the EFs generated and how are they getting multiple reference elements assigned?

2. If it's an analysis, what element contains the analysis?

3. What does the element hierarchy around this element look like?

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm guessing your element hierarchy is something like Incinerator as a parent element with child elements named Digitals, Pressures, etc.  If the EF is generated by an analysis on Incinerator, then to get the value of an attribute from the child element, Pressures, (lets call the attribute P1), you could do the following:

Since the EF comes from Incinerator, this is the primary reference element so we start with .\Elements[.] and then add \Pressures to get to this child element and finally add |P1 to get the attribute.  This yields:

.\Elements[.]\Pressures|P1

If, on the other hand, you have something else creating the EFs that can actually assign multiple reference elements, then you would want to filter the reference element collection accordingly, for example:

.\Elements[@Name=Pressures]|P1

Please keep us posted on your progress.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              GDKennedy

Hi Brent,

Thank you for the reply, it sounds like I am trying to get something captured that may not be possible the way I am doing it.   I am using the event frames generator and what I was trying to do is capture what some other points were doing when the incinerator vented, I wanted to do this so I could use that to try and identify what caused the venting.  The element that contains the analysis is the Incinerator_vent element.  You are correct in the hierarchy structure, it starts with the Plant site, then the unit name, incinerator, then digital, with the flows, levels, etc all under the incinerator level.

I am still very new to the Event Frame generation but I can see the potential power of them if I can figure out how to set them up properly.

I guess the real question would be Is there a way to capture the status of additional points of interest when the incinerator vents?   Would I be better off using that as the trigger and then try to capture the other points.

Thank you,

dan

bbregenzer

Hi, Dan.

A few followup questions/comments:

"The element that contains the analysis is the Incinerator_vent element.  You are correct in the hierarchy structure, it starts with the Plant site, then the unit name, incinerator, then digital, with the flows, levels, etc all under the incinerator level."

Is Incinerator_vent a different element than Incinerator or a child of Incinerator?  I think it would helpful if you can post a screenshot of your Element hierarchy so we can see how the elements all are related (parents, children, siblings).

"I guess the real question would be Is there a way to capture the status of additional points of interest when the incinerator vents?   Would I be better off using that as the trigger and then try to capture the other points."

I'm not sure I understand.  My impression was you are already triggering off of an attribute that indicates the incinerator is venting; is that correct?  As shown previously, there are ways to capture attribute values from elements other than the reference element, but we need to know the relationships between the elements in order to use the correct substitution syntax.

Taking another step back and thinking about the AF design; why are all of the attributes distributed across the child elements?  It seems they are all attributes of the Incinerator so would it make sense to put them in the incinerator element?  If this is done, you would have all the attributes you need to look at the incinerator in one place and this has the benefit of making the EF template configuration much simpler.  If you want them organized by type, you could assign appropriate attribute categories (e.g., Pressures, Temperatures, etc.) so they are grouped in client views and more easily searchable.

Please let us know what you think.

GDKennedy

Hi Brent,

Please see the screenshot for the hierarchy setup that we have.  The incinerator vent is a attribute inside the digitals folder shown below.

You are correct I am triggering off an attribute that says the incinerator is venting.  The other elements I would like to capture are all under the Resin unit and most of them are under the Incinerator.  There are some temperatures that I would like to capture from other equipment further down the list such as V-2301 process, V-2501, and V-2701.    Hopefully that makes sense.

bbregenzer

Hi, Dan.

It's a little complex but doable by adding the path syntax; some examples:

Get an attribute named P1 from the parent element, Incinerator: .\Elements[.]\..\|P1

For siblings of the parent, you'll need to use the specific name in the path or one of filtered collection approaches I mentioned previously.  First we have to go up two levels to the parent of the two siblings and then back down to the sibling we want by name or collection search:

Exact name: .\Elements[.]\..\..\V-2501|Temperature

Search the collection of the parent and it's siblings (i.e., the collection of the grandparents children); here for example, I'll assume V-2501 is the only sibling based on the Tank template: .\Elements[.]\..\..\Elements[@Template=Tank]|Temperature

As you can see, this starts to get pretty complex.  Another approach I've seen is build a special calculation module template for calculations that span an entire process (in your case, this could be a child of Resin). This element has the trigger attribute and all other attributes relevant to the calculation or that we want to capture in the EF in one place for easier reference.  The configuration for the attributes could be copied from the source elements or referenced via path syntax.

Please keep us posted on how you decide to proceed.