In the near future I'll be migrating a large amount of tags, calculations, formulas, digital states and what not from IP.21 to PI System.
I was wondering if there was a way in which I could retrieve all historical data from these tags and all from IP.21 in order to store them in our new PI System Server.
It is important to say that we'll not be using IP.21 anymore and migrating completely to PI.
Can anyone who has done it before give us some tips and point us toward the correct way? I'm aware of some of the options I have such as:
- Export from IP21 to CSV then import back in PI using either piconfig, PowerShell Tools for PI System, or UFL
- Pros: No additional software required, great for a few tags, very simple
- Cons: Performance and overhead if you have many tags / a lot of data
- Get the IP21 data from in SQL from their ODBC layer and write the data back to PI using OLEDB
- If you are already have OLEDB set up this could be as easy as exporting to CSV
- Connect the PI Interface for RDBMS to the ODBC layer of IP21
- Ideal if this is going to be an on-going process / lots of data
- Expose IP21 as an OPC Server such as Matrikon
- Configure the PI Interface for OPC DA / OPC HDA to collect real-time and historical data
Would the better option for collecting a large amount of data (number of tags in the thousands for each Database) be configuring IP21 as an OPC Server?
Thank you in advance!